no BS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scrubs07

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted this on valuemd, but I'm wondering if I can get into AUC or Ross if I just get 90 or so credits and no graduating BS degree. My gpa is a 3.6 something. I would have the 90 around the time of applying the end of summer and would like to attend med. school in Jan '07. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

scrubs07 said:
I posted this on valuemd, but I'm wondering if I can get into AUC or Ross if I just get 90 or so credits and no graduating BS degree. My gpa is a 3.6 something. I would have the 90 around the time of applying the end of summer and would like to attend med. school in Jan '07. Thanks.

are you just anxious to start?

whats your motivation for doing so?

I had 83 credits or so and applied and got accepted to Ross. Make sure you have all your pre-req's complete, extracirriculars, and experience in the field. If you have any questions feel free to i.m. me --my AIM name is talljap83.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is not a smart thing to do because you will not have a US undergrad degree to fall back on, especially if you are attending a Caribbean med school.

Can you attend one of them?

rossu.edu (FAQ section)

aucmed.edu (Entrance Requirements)

Look at the websites before you ask questions.

whats your motivation for doing so?

I'm really behind in credits, in fact I'm mistaken, in just re-calculating I will get to the 90 mark next fall even after taking courses this summer too. I need 128 to graduate. Plus, I have the stress of the MCAT on top of that. And yes, I am anxious.

Thanks alkapalka, that's a relief. I will have all the pre-reqs done by summer and have done summer research, extracurriculars and everything.

Look at the websites before you ask questions.

Although I do realize having a B.S. degree is important to fall back on for several reasons, I'm pretty confident things will be fine for me in med. school and not having a B.S. won't be looked back on but thanks for your input. Oh I have looked at their websites which do indicate 90+ credits (even a lot U.S. med schools say the same) but often like U.S. med schools they more so recommend a B.S. degree which is why I'm wondering if I can really do this without the degree and was a way to see if anyone successfully has done so.

scrubs07 said:
Although I do realize having a B.S. degree is important to fall back on for several reasons, I'm pretty confident things will be fine for me in med. school and not having a B.S. won't be looked back on but thanks for your input. Oh I have looked at their websites which do indicate 90+ credits (even a lot U.S. med schools say the same) but often like U.S. med schools they more so recommend a B.S. degree which is why I'm wondering if I can really do this without the degree and was a way to see if anyone successfully has done so.

Just in case, I would check with the medical licensing boards of the states that you are interested in to make sure that an undergrad degree is not necessary. With that being said, it is true that many places in the world (including Europe) have a 6 year medical program straight out of high school, so the need for an undergrad degree seems to be North American in origin.

The reason I was snippy is because of the way you framed your question. If you asked whether other had successfully been accepted then that is perfectly reasonable, but when you ask about a fact that can easily be found of the school's website then is hints at slothfulness.

You're right, I should have framed my question differently like the way I typed it out on valuemd but anyway I have since changed my mind with this whole ridiculous rushing off to the carribean idea. I will now work in more classes to obtain my bachelors and stick to U.S. med schools, thanks for all the opinions - it's what made me come to my senses.