No call until R2 now?

Started by colbgw02
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

colbgw02

Delightfully Tacky
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did a search and didn't find this topic...

I'm under the impression that this is official. Beginning with the group scheduled to finish residency in 2012 (current interns), first-years won't be taking call at all.

I'll admit that, for selfish reasons, I don't like it since I'll have to take more call earlier. But the consensus around here is that it's unnecessary and takes away from learning.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?
 
Did a search and didn't find this topic...

I'm under the impression that this is official. Beginning with the group scheduled to finish residency in 2012 (current interns), first-years won't be taking call at all.

I'll admit that, for selfish reasons, I don't like it since I'll have to take more call earlier. But the consensus around here is that it's unnecessary and takes away from learning.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

This doesn't rule out the possibility of 'supervised' call with a senior, does it?
 
You're right... the rule will be in effect starting June 1, 2008. Not a big deal in my program, since our first yrs start overnight call in May/June anyhow.

Although this may look good from your perspective now, it'll be worse when you're a senior resident making up all that deferred call.

Along with call regulations, the ACGME introduced a number of new rules that range from crazy to ridiculous... full rules available at their website. Have fun with all that documentation.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Guess I wasn't clear on this, but it doesn't effect me except that I'll have to take more call in the winter and spring of 2009 than I would have otherwise. I'm assuming I'll get "paid back" for this though later, when the then R2s have to pick up the slack.

I find it mostly annoying because a greater percentage of my total calls will be earlier in my residency. I'd rather take more calls as an R3/4 when I can breeze through call more easily.
 
Well that sucks. I start taking call this February with 2 weeks of night float as a 1st year.