No CARS Improvement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

autocrave

Never not steamy
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been really frustrated on my lack of CARS improvement. I've taken 5 FLs so far and have seen absolutely no positive change in my score. I've tried using EK's CARS book and strategies which everyone praises but they just don't seem to work for me. I absolutely bombed the one section of their guide where they give you just the question stems and you have to use context clues to find the correct answers. What am I missing?

AAMC Unscored: 89%
EK1: 38/53
EK2: 37/53
EK3: 36/53
EK4: 34/53

My test date is January 28th. Help please!

Members don't see this ad.

You did great on the AAMC unscored, you should stick to that technique. Would you mind sharing what you did on the AAMC test? Because, i am struggling with CARS as well.. but once you find something that work with you >88% .. you should stick to it.

You did great on the AAMC unscored, you should stick to that technique. Would you mind sharing what you did on the AAMC test? Because, i am struggling with CARS as well.. but once you find something that work with you >88% .. you should stick to it.
I only used a strategy for EK 3 and 4. The first three just involved me reading the passage while trying my best to stay interested in the topic. I highlighted important phrases like the author's argument and any counterpoints that showed up. Wish I could help more.

I've been really frustrated on my lack of CARS improvement. I've taken 5 FLs so far and have seen absolutely no positive change in my score. I've tried using EK's CARS book and strategies which everyone praises but they just don't seem to work for me. I absolutely bombed the one section of their guide where they give you just the question stems and you have to use context clues to find the correct answers. What am I missing?

AAMC Unscored: 89%
EK1: 38/53
EK2: 37/53
EK3: 36/53
EK4: 34/53

My test date is January 28th. Help please!

@autocrave - How's your timing? Are you having to rush on your last two or three passages? Another easy way to pick up a few points is to let go of the two or three super hard questions that you invest a lot of time in and spend that time on easier questions. We have a post about what to do about CARS as your test date approaches. It's in the bottom half of this post.

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
@autocrave - How's your timing? Are you having to rush on your last two or three passages? Another easy way to pick up a few points is to let go of the two or three super hard questions that you invest a lot of time in and spend that time on easier questions. We have a post about what to do about CARS as your test date approaches. It's in the bottom half of this post.

Best of luck!
Thanks for the link! I'll check it out. I also plan on doing AAMC's passages which I have admittedly neglected.

I actually finish with about 10-15 minutes to spare. I'm trying to work on slowing down but my nerves get the best of me sometimes.

Thanks for the link! I'll check it out. I also plan on doing AAMC's passages which I have admittedly neglected.

I actually finish with about 10-15 minutes to spare. I'm trying to work on slowing down but my nerves get the best of me sometimes.

I'd really invest time in those AAMC passages. Nerves can be tough, but with practice and investing that extra time you have to spare in slowing down,
can help a lot. Please let us know if there's anything we can do to help!

AAMC unscored (sample) FL has a significantly easier CARS compared to the scored FL... I wouldn't trust it.

Reactions: 1 user