No Clinical Opportunities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IcePenguin

Reaction score
I have called so many clinics and hospitals near me in the past months and even checked in periodically. However, they all either say they are not accepting volunteers because of Covid or that they are not taking any medical assistants/scribes. I'm crazy stressed about it. Is this just happening to me or everyone else too? At this point, I honestly am not sure of where else I can find clinical opportunities.

Members don't see this ad.

I have called so many clinics and hospitals near me in the past months and even checked in periodically. However, they all either say they are not accepting volunteers because of Covid or that they are not taking any medical assistants/scribes. I'm crazy stressed about it. Is this just happening to me or everyone else too? At this point, I honestly am not sure of where else I can find clinical opportunities.
Here's a harsh truth: your safety, as well as that of your family and society, is more important than your med school plans.

In the mean time, you can work on your nonclinical volunteering. Venues include scribing, food banks, COVID screening or contact tracing, Meals on Wheels, election poll working (normally done by seniors) and whatever your local houses of worship can suggest.

And yes, it's happening to everyone.

Reactions: 1 users
No scribes or MAs either? That’s tough.

Members don't see this ad :)
What year of school are you in? It’s happening to everyone. Even M1’s and M2’s who have been vaccinated for Covid aren’t allowed to shadow right now….

What year of school are you in? It’s happening to everyone. Even M1’s and M2’s who have been vaccinated for Covid aren’t allowed to shadow right now….
that seems a bit silly. Definitely not the case at my medical school.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
Might it be possible to get a job in a clinical setting? That would be one way around the prohibition on clinical volunteers.

Non-clinical volunteering can show your willingness to help those who are unable to help themselves.

how is it putting patients at risk when youre double vaccinated?
Does your school not make you learn anything about COVID or the vaccines? lol. Or even learning in your own time about the biggest public health crisis in the last 100 years...just for your own knowledge as a med student.

Anyways, you can still catch and spread covid if you are vaccinated.

Its not JUST the vaccines. Were also wearing n95s AND have the vaccines. Literally with full PPE plus vaccine it is totally safe to be shadowing. Also would love for you to send my way the evidence based research you have to support such a claim.

• Dislike
Its not JUST the vaccines. Were also wearing n95s AND have the vaccines. Literally with full PPE plus vaccine it is totally safe to be shadowing. Also would love for you to send my way the evidence based research you have to support such a claim.
Not sure if your school gives you access to UpToDate but here are some excerpts. I don't want to share more because it is behind a pay wall.

"Impact on transmission — Several COVID-19 vaccines have demonstrated efficacy in preventing symptomatic COVID-19. However, asymptomatic infection also contributes to transmission of SARS-CoV-2, and the impact of vaccination on asymptomatic infection is uncertain."

"Until more data are available, continued personal and public health preventive measures are still recommended for individuals who have been vaccinated to reduce the risk of transmission."

Also, the ~95% efficacy of the Moderna and Pfizer is defined as preventing SYMPTOMATIC infection.

Finally, and most importantly, in the future, you need to realize that the standard in medicine is "this is unsafe unless proven otherwise" not "this is safe until proven otherwise." The onus is on YOU, the one advocating for seemingly risky behavior to prove that is is safe, not on me to prove that it is unsafe.

There is no "evidenced based research" (btw that is redundant, medical research by definition is evidence based) at this time that the vaccine significantly prevents asymptomatic covid infection. Therefore, shadowing as a preclinical med student is selfish and unethical. You do not need to shadow. You just want to shadow and are placing your career aspirations/boredom over patient safety.

Reactions: 2 users
Maybe look up positions for "COVID screeners" in your area! That's what I've been doing, and I do get patient interaction (especially because I screen patients coming into the ER)