"no decision" and alternate list the same?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mison

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a difference between "no decision has yet been made on your application" letter and the "alternate list" letter. I suppose with the former statement they were reserving my app to make a decision between "alternate" or trash. I am just wondering now that I have the "alternate" letter if this means I have a better chance than say a "wait-list" applicant or are these terms used interchangably among med schools. Does anyone know what the national average numbers are for wait-list movement among US schools?

Members don't see this ad.

There is a difference between no decision and alternate list. Generally, the wait list and alternate list are the same things--different schools just use different terms. Being on the alternate list is not always better than no decision, as there's still a chance for acceptance with no decision. However, there's also a chance of rejection.

Waitlist movement varies widely between schools, so even if there was a national waitlist average, it wouldn't really tell you anything about your specific chances.