No ER Program at home school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CS_22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I go to a midwest school with no residency program for Emergency Medicine. I've been reading up on getting into an emergency medicine residency, and think I should be semi-competitive. I noticed, however, that "who you know" can always help especially if you're looking into some of the places that might offer a little more academic training.

Now to the point --

I'm just wondering if anyone out there has been through the same situation. (Going to a school where the only person you can go ask for a letter is a IM doc who covers the ER. Okay, maybe its not that bad, but I really think there are MAYBE two ER docs in town.) If so, any advice for getting LOR? Should I just try to rock the rotations I'm on and ask for letters outside of ER, hoping that the rest of my app can make up the difference? Or approach the only two docs in town? Maybe do some away rotations?

I appreciate in advance any responses.

CS

Members don't see this ad.

CS_22 said:
Hey all, I go to a midwest school with no residency program for Emergency Medicine. I've been reading up on getting into an emergency medicine residency, and think I should be semi-competitive. I noticed, however, that "who you know" can always help especially if you're looking into some of the places that might offer a little more academic training.

Now to the point --

I'm just wondering if anyone out there has been through the same situation. (Going to a school where the only person you can go ask for a letter is a IM doc who covers the ER. Okay, maybe its not that bad, but I really think there are MAYBE two ER docs in town.) If so, any advice for getting LOR? Should I just try to rock the rotations I'm on and ask for letters outside of ER, hoping that the rest of my app can make up the difference? Or approach the only two docs in town? Maybe do some away rotations?

I appreciate in advance any responses.

CS

I'm not from a school w/o an EM residency, but I did rotate with two students from a school w/o one. I think you absolutely need to do an away rotation. Many programs like to see at least one or two SLORs (Standardized Letter of Recommendation) and this can only be filled out by an EM attending at an EM residency. The letters from the community ED docs can be nice, but they don't fill this need. It's perfectly fine to get a LOR from someone outside of EM, but from my experience (others may differ) you will need those SLORs to get a look from most programs.

I agree with Hercules (and who wouldnt for fear of being beaten up). I went to a school w/o an EM program. I did lots of away rotations which were very helpful. I think programs may be reluctant to take someone who has not rotated at a place w/ an EM residency or someone who does not have a SLOR. Your time at an ED with EM residents will also let you see if you would enjoy it.
-andy