No Gap Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PA_dud3

PA-S1
Moderator Emeritus
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How viable would it be to not take a gap year? I wont have completed physics II and possibly sociology/genetics by the time I take the MCAT, and I want to obviously score well, but I also really don't want to take a gap year. I would self study for about 2 months. DO MCAT scores are typically around the 502 mark, so that gives a bit more wiggle room I suppose. So from past applicants, what is your experience with the MCAT and app cycle without a gap year?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I guess it all depends on how well you’re scoring on your practice MCATs. I know of people that didn’t take biochemistry prior to taking the MCAT (don’t recommend this) and performed really well. If you’re putting everything you can into those two months and you’re scoring above your desired score then I would take it but DO NOT rush your prep and decide to take it with poor practice test scores. That’ll force you into a gap year or, with how adamant you are about not taking a gap year, a rushed re-take which could be really bad. Also, I’m not sure of your situation but don’t be afraid of gap years. They’re super common and I don’t regret taking mine at all. Allowed me to focus solely on my clinical experience and research while also spending time with family prior to medical school. Just my two cents but good luck either way!

Reactions: 1 user
It will mostly depend on how well you know the content. Most of my friends who scored well took about 3 months to prepare. So if you aren't scoring where you want to be then don't be afraid of taking a gap year because scoring high will open more doors.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had several passages on my MCAT that involved physics II content. That being said, I think that physics is the easiest subject to self study for. I found that just memorizing equations and knowing all of my unit conversions carried me pretty far. You could probably get by with this one, genetics on the other hand...probably not. Biochem and genetics go hand in hand on the MCAT. I highly recommend that you take genetics before you test. I’m not sure why you’re opposed to taking a gap year, but it’s honestly not a bad thing. Im glad that I have the next ten months to interview, work, travel, and cross **** off my bucket list. Taking the mcat and applying is already stressful enough, why cram it if you don’t have to? And besides, are you really going to care about a gap year as a 60 year old attending?

Reactions: 1 users
I had several passages on my MCAT that involved physics II content. That being said, I think that physics is the easiest subject to self study for. I found that just memorizing equations and knowing all of my unit conversions carried me pretty far. You could probably get by with this one, genetics on the other hand...probably not. Biochem and genetics go hand in hand on the MCAT. I highly recommend that you take genetics before you test. I’m not sure why you’re opposed to taking a gap year, but it’s honestly not a bad thing. Im glad that I have the next ten months to interview, work, travel, and cross **** off my bucket list. Taking the mcat and applying is already stressful enough, why cram it if you don’t have to? And besides, are you really going to care about a gap year as a 60 year old attending?
Agree 100% with this! Gap-years are awesome and you aren't going to care about one year later on.

If your GPA is good, go for it

How viable would it be to not take a gap year? I wont have completed physics II and possibly sociology/genetics by the time I take the MCAT, and I want to obviously score well, but I also really don't want to take a gap year. I would self study for about 2 months. DO MCAT scores are typically around the 502 mark, so that gives a bit more wiggle room I suppose. So from past applicants, what is your experience with the MCAT and app cycle without a gap year?

Thanks!
Apply when you have the best possible app, and not for some unrealistic self-imposed timeline.

Reactions: 2 users
Get in ASAP, get out ASAP.

Reactions: 1 users