No guarantee of program ranking you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teo1753

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be applying to EM this next match (2011) and wanted to get some feedback on some questions. How common is it for a program to give you an interview and then not actually rank you for match? I realize if you come across as an a**hole, then that can be the reason. Wouldn't a prescreen for interview be sufficient for you to merrit a rank at least (since they've looked at your stats) Perhaps I'm being overly concerned given that I'll be doing audition rotations. I'd hate to put in the effort and then not be seriously considered. Any advice/comments would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be applying to EM this next match (2011) and wanted to get some feedback on some questions. How common is it for a program to give you an interview and then not actually rank you for match? I realize if you come across as an a**hole, then that can be the reason. Wouldn't a prescreen for interview be sufficient for you to merrit a rank at least (since they've looked at your stats) Perhaps I'm being overly concerned given that I'll be doing audition rotations. I'd hate to put in the effort and then not be seriously considered. Any advice/comments would be great!

The threshold for giving an applicant an interview and then not ranking him/her is fairly high. By definition, a program would not rank you if they thought you were so bad that they would prefer to roll the dice in the scramble.

We usually don't rank a handful of applicants, typically for red flag-type hints of unprofessionalism.

-AT.

yep every residency program doesn't rank some % of their applicants. Programs that are better in terms of reputation will not rank a higher %. One place I interviewed at would interview 100 people and only rank 50, so 50% of those that interviewed wouldn't be ranked.

yep every residency program doesn't rank some % of their applicants. Programs that are better in terms of reputation will not rank a higher %. One place I interviewed at would interview 100 people and only rank 50, so 50% of those that interviewed wouldn't be ranked.

Wow, thanks for the insight. I suppose popular EM programs do have the luxury of simply not needing to rank a good percentage of applicants. For anyone involved in the selection process (mainly TX, LA, NM, AZ, OK), would you please comment on how deep into the "program" ROL is usually needed to match their new residents. This would obviously vary by institution, but it would be interesting to know now that EM is becoming more popular. Thanks in advance.

Wow, thanks for the insight. I suppose popular EM programs do have the luxury of simply not needing to rank a good percentage of applicants. For anyone involved in the selection process (mainly TX, LA, NM, AZ, OK), would you please comment on how deep into the "program" ROL is usually needed to match their new residents. This would obviously vary by institution, but it would be interesting to know now that EM is becoming more popular. Thanks in advance.

RJ interviewed for Gas, not EM so take that for what it's worth.

Also, how deep programs go and how many people they rank are 2 different things. And because things change from year to year and program to program, data from one point/place in time will probably not be that useful to you.

My IM fellowship program (again, not what you're interested in) interviews ~30 people for 4 spots. We typically rank almost everyone we bother to interview but rarely go past 10 on the list.