No interview invite :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futdoc251989

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there. So yesterday, I got a rejection letter from LECOM-Bradenton telling me that I wasn't selected for an interview. This is the only school that I've heard from that I've applied to (submitted secondaries). The other schools are Nova, LECOM-Erie, Rowan, and CCOM. I submitted the secondaries on 10/31. Here are my stats:

cGPA: 3.11
sGPA: unsure but approximately 3.0
grad GPA: 3.5 (currently in the Masters in Biomedical Sciences program at Barry)
MCAT: 30 (12 PS, 10 BS, 8 VR)

ECs:
Shadowed two DOs and received LORs from both.
Clinical experience includes hospital volunteering and working in a nursing home as a CNA.

I'm not sure exactly what the GPA and MCAT averages are for LECOM-Bradenton, but I was somewhat surprised that I was rejected fairly quickly and didn't get an ii. I know that my cGPA is low, but I think my MCAT score is a bit higher than average. I can't really think of any obvious red flags in my application that would lead to such a quick rejection. Could it be because I submitted my secondaries too late and that the class is already filled up? Also, in terms of competitiveness, is the Erie campus known to be "harder" to get into? As in are my stats more or less competitive for the Erie campus? I also heard that LECOM is considered by many to be a "safe" school so I'm a bit disheartened after seeing this bad news. If anybody has any thoughts or insights that you could share, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks and best of luck to all applicants this cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

you state that your sGPA is "approximately" 3.0.

If it is below 3.0 (as in 2.9 something...), you may have been screened out.

Just my guess. Please check your AACOMAS file and see what your GPA ends up being.

Reactions: 1 users
you state that your sGPA is "approximately" 3.0.

If it is below 3.0 (as in 2.9 something...), you may have been screened out.

Just my guess. Please check your AACOMAS file and see what your GPA ends up being.
Are graduate level science courses included when AACOMAS calculates science GPA? If so, my science GPA is 2.93. Also, according to LECOM's website, the minimum required science GPA is 2.7.

Members don't see this ad :)
You may want to ask AACOMAS or look through their catalog book regarding that issue.

Also, yes the minimum MAY be 2.7... but when most of the other applicants have GPAs ABOVE a 3.0, why should they look at anything below 3.0? You know what I mean? I'm not trying to come across as a jerk or douche, so I apologize if that came out rude.

I believe that most of the other schools have cutoffs at 3.0. So a 2.93 may be your issue here... just my guess.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
I think you should focus on retakes rather than extra courses from a Master's. I think I've read something on here where adcoms from DO schools don't take Master's degrees too seriously due to inflated grading and other similar issues like that (unless you got a high GPA in it.. like 3.8+). Then again, this is just my guess. I do not have a thread where I read this but I'm pretty sure it was on this site I read something along the lines of that.

Just for extra info. Let's get @Goro involved.

I think you should focus on retakes rather than extra courses from a Master's. I think I've read something on here where adcoms from DO schools don't take Master's degrees too seriously due to inflated grading and other similar issues like that (unless you got a high GPA in it.. like 3.8+). Then again, this is just my guess. I do not have a thread where I read this but I'm pretty sure it was on this site I read something along the lines of that.

Just for extra info. Let's get @Goro involved.
I think it kind of depends on what kind of Masters program it is. In my program, I've taken Anatomy, Physiology, Biochem, Pharmocology, and Neuroanatomy, which are all first year medical school classes, so I'm not sure that the whole Masters grade inflation theory is in play here.

Also, I don't think "retakes" is really an option for me at this point. A lot of my Cs in undergrad were in upper division science courses which are not offered at any community colleges. I'm also thinking of applying to Nova's MBS program since that would give me an opportunity to continue to get As in medical school level science courses and finally raise my science GPA above the elusive 3.0 (and hopefully score an interview).

I think it kind of depends on what kind of Masters program it is. In my program, I've taken Anatomy, Physiology, Biochem, Pharmocology, and Neuroanatomy, which are all first year medical school classes, so I'm not sure that the whole Masters grade inflation theory is in play here.

yeah most def. I'm not too savvy on Master's programs. Just regurgitating what I read on here. What grades did you get in those classes? Even then, I'm just as perplexed as you are. I really think it could be the GPAs that adcoms are seeing and passing on.. especially with the sub-3.0 science and the low 3.11 cGPA. That master's should count for something... but maybe they expected you to annihilate the program and hit it harder with a 3.8+.

Once again, just my guess here man. I really think its the sub 3.0 science GPA screwing you over. With thousands of applicants to sort through, the schools most likely reject or remove the sub 3.0 gpa candidates, thus making the filtering process much easier.

Well, I hope that not all of them end up doing that. (fingers crossed)

I'm as perplexed as you. You're competitive for my school and would have received an II from us.

How late was "late submission"?

Suggest contact LECOM and asking if you can get feedback on your rejection.

Hi there. So yesterday, I got a rejection letter from LECOM-Bradenton telling me that I wasn't selected for an interview. This is the only school that I've heard from that I've applied to (submitted secondaries). The other schools are Nova, LECOM-Erie, Rowan, and CCOM. I submitted the secondaries on 10/31. Here are my stats:

cGPA: 3.11
sGPA: unsure but approximately 3.0
grad GPA: 3.5 (currently in the Masters in Biomedical Sciences program at Barry)
MCAT: 30 (12 PS, 10 BS, 8 VR)

ECs:
Shadowed two DOs and received LORs from both.
Clinical experience includes hospital volunteering and working in a nursing home as a CNA.

I'm not sure exactly what the GPA and MCAT averages are for LECOM-Bradenton, but I was somewhat surprised that I was rejected fairly quickly and didn't get an ii. I know that my cGPA is low, but I think my MCAT score is a bit higher than average. I can't really think of any obvious red flags in my application that would lead to such a quick rejection. Could it be because I submitted my secondaries too late and that the class is already filled up? Also, in terms of competitiveness, is the Erie campus known to be "harder" to get into? As in are my stats more or less competitive for the Erie campus? I also heard that LECOM is considered by many to be a "safe" school so I'm a bit disheartened after seeing this bad news. If anybody has any thoughts or insights that you could share, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks and best of luck to all applicants this cycle.

I'm as perplexed as you. You're competitive for my school and would have received an II from us.

How late was "late submission"?

Suggest contact LECOM and asking if you can get feedback on your rejection.

I was complete on November 2nd I believe.

@Goro. Do you suspect that it is because of my science gpa as does DetectiveAlonzo?

Yes. I had misread your post and so you're still in the SMP...and thus have only one semester under your belt there? if so, you'll be a very attractive candidate for the next cycle.

Also suggest retaking any F/D/C science coursework.

@Goro. Do you suspect that it is because of my science gpa as does DetectiveAlonzo?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. I had misread your post and so you're still in the SMP...and thus have only one semester under your belt there? if so, you'll be a very attractive candidate for the next cycle.

Also suggest retaking any F/D/C science coursework.
Actually, I'm in the 2 year track. I have only a semester left. If I get As in my two classes this next semester (Histology and Microbiology), my science gpa will rise to 2.99, barely making the cut.

The you really need to retake all F/D/C science coursework.
Like what? I only have one C in the program (Neuroanatomy) and one B (Physiology). The rest are As.
If you're referring to my undergrad courses, those Cs were in upper division for my major, like Animal Physiology, Animal Behavior, Developmental Bio, Advanced Human Genetics, Cell bio, etc. Those aren't classes that are normally offered at community colleges so basically, that ship has sailed.

Have you determined if your grad science courses are in fact included in your SGPA being reported to the schools? This might very well be your major issue. Goro keeps telling you to retake your undergrad C/D/F classes. I may be totally wrong but I'm thinking all your great grad grades aren't included in your sGPA and you are being auto screened. If that's the case, schools aren't even seeing your grad grades.

Yes. I just verified by checking my AACOMAS. My science gpa is 2.89, which includes both my undergraduate and graduate science courses, with a steep upward trend. I really hope I get an interview somewhere because there isn't a whole lot that I can do to significantly improve my app. Even if I take science courses for the next 5 years and ace them all, my overall gpa will change very little.

A 2.89 sGPA is pretty low! Goro is right(as usual) especially since you are looking at DO schools. You should retake all C/D/F science (and maybe some other classes)classes and qualify for the lovely grade replacement option. Your GPAs will go up easily if you replace those grades with As. Could you retake some of your higher level science classes at Barry or a local 4 year public college? Otherwise I don't know how you are going to get around your low GPAs.

I honestly don't see how that's going to be possible. In order retake those upper division courses, I would have to re-do my undergraduate major. I've never heard of courses like Animal Behavior, Principles of Human Genetics, Biology and Society, and Developmental Biology being offered at any community colleges. Those are pretty much my undergrad Cs. I already retook all my Ds and Fs while I was in undergrad.

I honestly don't see how that's going to be possible. In order retake those upper division courses, I would have to re-do my undergraduate major. I've never heard of courses like Animal Behavior, Principles of Human Genetics, Biology and Society, and Developmental Biology being offered at any community colleges. Those are pretty much my undergrad Cs. I already retook all my Ds and Fs while I was in undergrad.

You may have to retake them a different 4 year institution; In NC, Genetics is the only course that I've seen offered at the community college level. A sGPA below 3.0 is going to be a dealbreaker at most schools.

Reactions: 1 user