No interviews yet... applied to 30+ programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chitown2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Delete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First off, keep your head up. It is very early. After all, you just submitted your application not even a week ago.

Do you have any red flags? Are your letters of rec from your clinical years? Did you fail any classes or take time off at some point in time? Do you have any research experience?

Take a deep breath and calm down. It is still early.

Reactions: 1 users
I applied to approximately 36 programs for pediatric residency. Have not received any interview invites yet. I went to a mid-tier medical school with a solid reputation for sending students to very good programs.

My step 1 score was horrible (205), my pre-clinical grades are middle of the road with a few LP's, and my clinical grades are all P and HP (HP in pediatrics). I think my LOR's are fine but not written by people who knew me for years.

I wasn't expecting invites until end of September given that my scores would not automatically grant me an interview, but I am a bit scared. I know it's peds and technically it's not "competitive" but when should I be concerned about not having interviews?

Thank you.

It's WAY early. Like, WAY early. My program doesn't even look at most of their applications until after MSPEs are released. It's hard to say when you should be worried, but if you have no interviews by mid-Oct, then maybe?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's less than a week from when applications were sent out, and the AAP meeting was last weekend (through yesterday), so many PDs probably haven't even started reviewing applications. You can't freak out until halfway through October. And even then, I received interview invites in December.

It's less than a week from when applications were sent out, and the AAP meeting was last weekend (through yesterday), so many PDs probably haven't even started reviewing applications. You can't freak out until halfway through October. And even then, I received interview invites in December.
I also received invites in December. It's early, and the people with very strong apps likely over applied, and will cancel a lot of their interviews. It's going to be ok!

Anyone still without interviews?

I applied to approximately 36 programs for pediatric residency. Have not received any interview invites yet. I went to a mid-tier medical school with a solid reputation for sending students to very good programs.

My step 1 score was horrible (205), my pre-clinical grades are middle of the road with a few LP's, and my clinical grades are all P and HP (HP in pediatrics). I think my LOR's are fine but not written by people who knew me for years.

I wasn't expecting invites until end of September given that my scores would not automatically grant me an interview, but I am a bit scared. I know it's peds and technically it's not "competitive" but when should I be concerned about not having interviews?

Thank you.

FEBRUARY!

sort of jk, but, even if you worry...what can you change in the moment? im not the most beast applicant, either but i figure worrying will perpetuate stress, which definitely wont help anything...especially worrying about the things you specifically outlined. its all water under the bridge, now. all we can do is put our best foot and ERAS forward, pray if you believe in that and wait. it'll work out!!

Have you received interviews at this point?

FEBRUARY!

sort of jk, but, even if you worry...what can you change in the moment? im not the most beast applicant, either but i figure worrying will perpetuate stress, which definitely wont help anything...especially worrying about the things you specifically outlined. its all water under the bridge, now. all we can do is put our best foot and ERAS forward, pray if you believe in that and wait. it'll work out!!
eveuve

I have received 4 out of 37 schools I applied to. How concerned should I be?

You shouldn't be, really. Again, MSPEs haven't even been released yet! In my program, 95% of applications aren't even TOUCHED until after MSPE's are available.

Reactions: 1 user
You shouldn't be, really. Again, MSPEs haven't even been released yet! In my program, 95% of applications aren't even TOUCHED until after MSPE's are available.

Ok thank you. I will try to think about something else for the time being.

Hi,
Thank you for replying! I have heard from 8 out of 37 programs applied to. Does this mean there is potentially a red flag with my app?
That depends on your definition of 'red flag.' A felony? A failed Step 1 attempt? Remediation in med school? Even if there is a red flag, there's nothing you can do about it now, right?

At how many programs would you like to interview? 8/37 doesn't seem bad for the first week of October. The way I see it, the programs you haven't heard from either (1) haven't reviewed your application, (2) reviewed it and decided not to offer you an interview (in which case, the declination email will come on THEIR time, not yours), or (3) have you in a sort of hold status to see how their interview schedule shapes up.

Reactions: 1 user