No interviews yet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ss2196

Reaction score
Anyone else not get any II yet? I am getting really depressed and have applied to quite a lot of schools. Also I am an international student but have lived in the US for my whole life and I know that plays a huge factor in my not getting any invites.
I just want to quit now.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to hear that OP -- If you need to, let yourself take a week to mourn and wallow, then clear your head and figure out what to do next.

If you quit (that's a valid option), then you'll need to figure out a different future.

If you decide to persevere, then you need to update your plan. What aspects of your application can be improved upon to yield a better result next time?
  • Did you apply to schools known to take Int'l applicants?
  • Can you get a green card? (or whatever legal status will make you not officially Int'l)
  • How are your numbers - GPA and MCAT?
  • How are your ECs?
  • What's unique about you that brings desirable diversity to a school?
  • and importantly, how much time do you need to significantly improve the above? (Hint: it's probably > 1 year)
I'm rooting for you --

Reactions: 10 users
Sorry to hear that OP -- If you need to, let yourself take a week to mourn and wallow, then clear your head and figure out what to do next.

If you quit (that's a valid option), then you'll need to figure out a different future.

If you decide to persevere, then you need to update your plan. What aspects of your application can be improved upon to yield a better result next time?
  • Can you get a green card? (or whatever legal status will make you not officially Int'l)
  • How are your ECs?
  • and importantly, how much time do you need to significantly improve the above? (Hint: it's probably > 1 year)
I'm rooting for you --

I just want to say that that response was both an empathetic AND a constructive one. Such responses are rare on this forum. Kudos to you DokterMom and best of luck to you OP! I became a naturalized citizen last year and I definitely think my citizenship came into consideration when applying for undergrad. Thankfully I didn’t have the problem in applying to med school.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

• How are your ECs?
I'm rooting for you --
Thank you so much. I really appreciate it.
Yes, I have applied to all the schools that do accept international students but then again they accept like 1 or 2. I hate that my admission status is really influenced by my citizenship status. I wish they would at least let me interview. It sucks to not have a green card right now and the process is taking forever, its out of my hands.

Anyone else not get any II yet? I am getting really depressed and have applied to quite a lot of schools. Also I am an international student but have lived in the US for my whole life and I know that plays a huge factor in my not getting any invites.
I just want to quit now.
60% of all applicants never get IIs.

Reactions: 1 user
60% of all applicants never get IIs.
I thought the figure was that 60% were not accepted with an unknown number of interviews. Presumably a large portion are due to no IIs but there are some that do have 1 II or multiple and don't get in.

I thought the figure was that 60% were not accepted with an unknown number of interviews. Presumably a large portion are due to no IIs but there are some that do have 1 II or multiple and don't get in.
I stand corrected. 60% of all applicant will never get in. However, if you look at MSAR, depending upon the school (state schools favor the home team), offhand I'd say that <10% of applicants ever get IIs.

Hey OP, I just want to say that I really feel for you and understand the struggle. I have spent the unquestionable majority of my life in the US, attended an elite US private school, and have been waiting for a green card for more than half of my life, but I am considered an international. It’s incredibly difficult and while I don’t really blame anyone (aside from my family member who slacked on the application), it’s disheartening.

When I was applying for undergraduate admission in high school, I had very extensively researched what top schools look for, what awards/designations they liked etc. and played the game perfectly. Maybe due to less certainty about my goals, I wasn’t as focused this time, and the outcomes likely won’t be as good.

I have hope for you (and me) but regardless, the lesson I have learned is to never let up, and do all you can to distinguish yourself. Adcoms aren’t infalliable, the system isn’t fair, life isn’t fair, but we still can win and write our own destinies. It sucks to always be fighting an uphill battle, but it is what it is.

Hey OP, I just want to say that I really feel for you and understand the struggle. I have spent the unquestionable majority of my life in the US, attended an elite US private school, and have been waiting for a green card for more than half of my life, but I am considered an international. It’s incredibly difficult and while I don’t really blame anyone (aside from my family member who slacked on the application), it’s disheartening.

When I was applying for undergraduate admission in high school, I had very extensively researched what top schools look for, what awards/designations they liked etc. and played the game perfectly. Maybe due to less certainty about my goals, I wasn’t as focused this time, and the outcomes likely won’t be as good.

I have hope for you (and me) but regardless, the lesson I have learned is to never let up, and do all you can to distinguish yourself. Adcoms aren’t infalliable, the system isn’t fair, life isn’t fair, but we still can win and write our own destinies. It sucks to always be fighting an uphill battle, but it is what it is.
I really appreciate this response and is something I definitely needed to hear. I wish you all the best as well! Lets hope good things come our way. Thank you for this.

I just want to quit now.

Don't give up. 1) this cycle isn't over. 2) even if you dont get in this year, your career is not over. Tons of my classmates applied more than once, some even 3+ times before getting in. They're now often the ones doing best in my class and loving every second of med school.

I can't give any constructive advice about the international student component, as I'm not versed in that or how it affects applicants. What I would suggest is maybe an SMP with linkage or conditional acceptance, or taking an honest look at your application and fixing any weak areas that are in your control to improve.

Dont let it get you down! You are not alone. This is a long journey filled with setbacks.

Reactions: 1 users

Never give up, never surrender!

Your point is well taken. I'm not being snarky, but how did things work out for the Germans? I believe in setting realistic goals and not quitting until I have achieved them. I think OP has realistic goals , and I'm encouraging them to persevere and not give up on the dream.