no interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

worriedsister

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
my sister is a senior at HYP applying to medical school this year. her mcat is a 35R, her overall GPA is 3.7, and her science GPA is 3.5. she is also the captain of a varsity sports team and has worked in a lab.

she applied to about 20 medical schools, but she was overseas helping AIDS patients this summer, so she didn't get her secondary applications in as quickly as she might've if she was in the united states. she got some in in late august and the rest by mid-september.

so far, she has 0 interviews and one rejection from a school with medians that are much lower than her numbers. should she be worried? i'm kind of worried, but i don't know that much about the medical school application process.

is she struggling bc she is trying to go straight through? has it just not been enough time since she submitted her secondary applications? is it strange that she got rejected by a school that normally takes candidates with much lower numbers (i know numbers aren't everything, but it's the proxy that we do have)?
 
my sister is a senior at HYP applying to medical school this year. her mcat is a 35R, her overall GPA is 3.7, and her science GPA is 3.5. she is also the captain of a varsity sports team and has worked in a lab.

she applied to about 20 medical schools, but she was overseas helping AIDS patients this summer, so she didn't get her secondary applications in as quickly as she might've if she was in the united states. she got some in in late august and the rest by mid-september.

so far, she has 0 interviews and one rejection from a school with medians that are much lower than her numbers. should she be worried? i'm kind of worried, but i don't know that much about the medical school application process.

is she struggling bc she is trying to go straight through? has it just not been enough time since she submitted her secondary applications? is it strange that she got rejected by a school that normally takes candidates with much lower numbers (i know numbers aren't everything, but it's the proxy that we do have)?

I smell BS...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hmmm well this wasn't the response I was expecting although I do seewhy you guys are skeptical, but everything I said was true.

I really am the sister. I used a site like this when I applied to law school, and it was very helpful in terms of figuring out timelines of the application process. We had plenty of flames there so I know that's annoying, but this is real.

Can anyone tell me the answers to my questions in my first post?
 
Hmmm well this wasn't the response I was expecting although I do seewhy you guys are skeptical, but everything I said was true.

I really am the sister. I used a site like this when I applied to law school, and it was very helpful in terms of figuring out timelines of the application process. We had plenty of flames there so I know that's annoying, but this is real.

Can anyone tell me the answers to my questions in my first post?


It's only the middle of October, there are many applicants who were complete before this so be patient.
 
Hmmm well this wasn't the response I was expecting although I do seewhy you guys are skeptical, but everything I said was true.

I really am the sister. I used a site like this when I applied to law school, and it was very helpful in terms of figuring out timelines of the application process. We had plenty of flames there so I know that's annoying, but this is real.

Can anyone tell me the answers to my questions in my first post?

Ignore the ******ed and desperate comments from some of these guys. It's still very early in the application process, she submitted in August and mid September which is slightly late in the process. I would expect interviews to come in around November and later on. Don't be worried as stated before it's still early in the process.
 
Maybe someone with a valuable opinion could provide it and answer this person's question. Just a thought.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We need more info. When did she submitted her secondary applications: august? september?

Her stats are good enough that she should be already getting invites if she submitted them in early august (assuming her whole file is complete). What about her LOR? Are they in the system already?
 
thank you for the helpful replies

We need more info. When did she submitted her secondary applications: august? september?

Her stats are good enough that she should be already getting invites if she submitted them in early august (assuming her whole file is complete). What about her LOR? Are they in the system already?

i'm not exactly sure when she submitted the initial applications, but i know she submitted the secondary applications between late august and mid-september. all her LORs are in.
 
i'm not exactly sure when she submitted the initial applications, but i know she submitted the secondary applications between late august and mid-september. all her LORs are in.

This is a very important detail. I wouldn't be surprised if most schools haven't even looked at her application yet, let alone made a decision on it. Give it another month or two before her worrying is justified.
 
This is a very important detail. I wouldn't be surprised if most schools haven't even looked at her application yet, let alone made a decision on it. Give it another month or two before her worrying is justified.

thank you. what about the fact that a school with medians a lot lower than her numbers rejected her?
 
thank you. what about the fact that a school with medians a lot lower than her numbers rejected her?

A few possibilities:

- They might have perceived her as an applicant that was simply using them as a safety school, without a strong desire to attend their school specifically
- They might be looking for applicants that satisfy a particular social mission (from a particular region, demonstrated interest in primary care, extensive research, etc)
- She could have written a personal statement that rubbed them the wrong way, or her letters of recommendation could have been less-than-supportive (though this will be difficult to assess)

... it's hard to say without knowing more about both the applicant and the specific schools (though I suggest you keep those details private for the sake of anonymity).