No Letter from Dentist - Problem?

Started by ForUs_J&S
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ForUs_J&S

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

I am applying for the 2017 cycle and plan to submit my application in June, latest early July. I do have a committee at my school who will write me a letter. They write a comprehensive letter and attach the individual letters I submit as well.

Many schools require 3 individual letters consisting of faculty and a dentist. But many do say that if a committee letter is available, it can substitute the 3 individual letters. For example, from UMich,

Letters of Recommendation
Three letters of recommendation are required. All letters must be submitted to AADSAS; instructions are provided in the application.

  • Two letters of recommendation must be from science professors (instructors with whom you've taken a course, have given you a grade and can write about your academic qualities), and one letter of recommendation from a non-science professor OR a dentist OR an employer. It is strongly encouraged that your science letter be from a basic science instructor.
  • Alternatively, some institutions offer evaluation letters written from a preprofessional committee. This is acceptable in lieu of the three letters of recommendation.



If I get a committee letter but do not have a letter from a dentist, is this a negative? Anyone have experience with this? I did shadow a dentist, but getting is letter is difficult for another reason. I'm trying to find another dentist I can shadow and get a letter from but with limited time and difficulty finding someone who will let me come in, it may not be a possibility.

Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I started shadowing April of last year and by august I accumulated around 80 hours. You can submit your application in June/July and then add a letter from a dentist by the end of August/ September, October/November even. Just make sure you tell your dentist before you start shadowing that you will be needing a rec letter. I didn't and it was a bit awkward when I asked on my last day haha
 
Hi everyone,

I am applying for the 2017 cycle and plan to submit my application in June, latest early July. I do have a committee at my school who will write me a letter. They write a comprehensive letter and attach the individual letters I submit as well.

Many schools require 3 individual letters consisting of faculty and a dentist. But many do say that if a committee letter is available, it can substitute the 3 individual letters. For example, from UMich,

Letters of Recommendation
Three letters of recommendation are required. All letters must be submitted to AADSAS; instructions are provided in the application.

  • Two letters of recommendation must be from science professors (instructors with whom you've taken a course, have given you a grade and can write about your academic qualities), and one letter of recommendation from a non-science professor OR a dentist OR an employer. It is strongly encouraged that your science letter be from a basic science instructor.
  • Alternatively, some institutions offer evaluation letters written from a preprofessional committee. This is acceptable in lieu of the three letters of recommendation.



If I get a committee letter but do not have a letter from a dentist, is this a negative? Anyone have experience with this? I did shadow a dentist, but getting is letter is difficult for another reason. I'm trying to find another dentist I can shadow and get a letter from but with limited time and difficulty finding someone who will let me come in, it may not be a possibility.

Thanks!
I always think that explaining your situation, concerns, and hopes are important to people that you need to help you. I would go visit several different dentists and be honest--say something along the lines," The application cycle is coming up in several months, could I shadow you, get to know each other, and have you write a letter of recommendation for me?"

As long as you are kind, understanding, and patient, I think many dentists would not have an issue with this. If they do have an issue, they aren't the ones you want writing you a letter.