DrJeff

Moderator Emeritus
Dec 1, 2000
Brooklyn, ct
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
As long as people want to actually keep their OWN teeth (and the vast majority of the patient's in my office seem to want to!) I don't think this will effect the profession very much, if at all.

The only real potential issue that I could see happening would be some insurance companies refusing to pay for more intensive perio treatment (i.e. scaling and root planing, quadrant surgery, etc). The evidence that regular cleanings is more cost effective from a caries detection and hence treatment standpoint is still there though

Bereno

Smoking Monkey
10+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2011
Washington
Makes me wonder... If someone is willing to take good care of their teeth, are they more likely to take good care of their body as well? :)

About the Ads

Msmouth

7+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2010
Earth
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I didn't read the entire scientific study but from the abstract and conclusion it looks like we can still say there may be a link due to the nature of chronic inflammation.
There are very few studies that we can infer causation when it comes to the etiology of disease. There are so many factors involved.....

We all know that smoking can lead to cancer, yet we cannot infer direct causation based on the fact that we can't conduct a random study on human beings.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.