No longer competitive for ortho - suggestions on next steps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brokenbonebro

Reaction score
family member passed week of the shelf, failed a rotation - trying to piece things together I guess but ortho plans likely futile now.
any advice on specialities to consider?

thanks folks

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Sorry for your loss

PMR, gas, rads (maybe), general surgery, IM then fellowship

Reactions: 2 users
If your step 2 is solid, you could likely still apply ortho with lots of auditions. With a back up specialty of course (like surgery).

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If your step 2 is solid, you could likely still apply ortho with lots of auditions. With a back up specialty of course (like surgery).
I think that it depends a lot on the other components of the OPs app. If he/she is at Harvard or Hopkins and/or had 15 publications, 260 etc. they would probably still match. But ortho is very unforgiving.

Thanks for the comments guys.
I think that it depends a lot on the other components of the OPs app. If he/she is at Harvard or Hopkins and/or had 15 publications, 260 etc. they would probably still match. But ortho is very unforgiving.
I planned on taking a gap year for research and dual applying anyway, but with so many qualified people I have difficulty seeing how a PD would pick my application over all the other apps that are just like mine - but without that blemish.

I'm certainly considering PM&R, still can't see myself in anaesthesia because I'd have major curtain envy, I don't like abdomen stuff so likely not Gsurg, disliked inpatient medicine (lots of great learning but not my jam - cardio EP was so cool though).

I don't know very much about FM but if I could do sports perhaps that would be nice...but that area is unfamiliar to me and FM pay is low.

Last edited:
FM medicine pay is not low.

I will be thinking good vibes for you brokenbonebro.

Reactions: 1 users
If you nail step 2, you have a shot.

I'd think PM&R or FM->Sports Med fellowship could still give you the same patient population, you just won't be with them in the OR. But if you're against anything non-ortho surg, that's pretty much the next best thing IMO. Great hours for decent pay.

Sorry for the loss of a loved one. Stay strong and lean on those closest to you during this time. Take a LOA if you need, although I know that unfortunately is a red-flag at some places.

Sorry for your loss

PMR, gas, rads (maybe), general surgery, IM then fellowship

These all seem like good potential options.

One thing I'll say though to be careful about, anesthesia and rads had the two biggest jumps in apps this year (I think it was 10% and 14%) and think they had similar jumps the year before. Meanwhile, a lot of surgical subspecialties (including ortho) went down. So dual applying could be a solid option.

However, dual applying to one of these after doing 3-4 ortho aways would likely be unsuccessful just due to the huge increase in apps (one PD in gas said they received 2x as many apps this year as they did 3-5 years ago). So while historically they may have been good options to dual apply, I would keep a close eye on the match data before jumping in.

I agree that if everything else goes well and you can afford it, dual applying might not be a bad idea.

But for recommending other specialties, might help to know...what did you like about ortho? Was it more the surgery/procedural aspect, MSK, or both?

I agree that if everything else goes well and you can afford it, dual applying might not be a bad idea.

But for recommending other specialties, might help to know...what did you like about ortho? Was it more the surgery/procedural aspect, MSK, or both?
The most costly thing would be not matching, so I'll figure it out.
I'm a pretty risk averse guy, so if I choose to dual apply I will likely go FM.

Some of the things I liked about ortho were the MSK-focused pathology, macrosurgery (appealing to a woodworker like me), generally positive outcomes, and patient population motivated to get back to moving again. Per-hour earnings are decent but I surmise ortho will likely see significant cuts along with the rest of medicine in the coming decades.

Would it be worth asking to speak with the ortho PD at my school for some point blank advice?
I don't want to take a gap year to prep for ortho if I don't need it (as in, if I have no chance at ortho regardless of what I do)

Last edited:
Per-hour earnings are decent but I surmise ortho will likely see significant cuts along with the rest of medicine in the coming decades.
Ortho is one of the fields least likely to see significant cuts.
Would it be worth asking to speak with the ortho PD at my school for some point blank advice? I don't want to take a gap year to prep for ortho if I don't need it (as in, if I have no chance at ortho regardless of what I do)
I'd absolutely advise meeting with them if possible. They'll be an excellent resource.

I wouldn't plan on taking the gap year as it stands currently.

No one fails a rotation at t5’s. The worst is you have to remediate some part of it and there will be no record of it either. That’s one of the advantages of going to a top place. They try their best to not hinder you in any way. Remediation is never mentioned in MSPE or transcript and the way they let you pass through remediation is unspeakably lenient.

Well, I met with admin today and
No one fails a rotation at t5’s. The worst is you have to remediate some part of it and there will be no record of it either. That’s one of the advantages of going to a top place. They try their best to not hinder you in any way. Remediation is never mentioned in MSPE or transcript and the way they let you pass through remediation is unspeakably lenient.
The school has agreed strike my failure off the record provided I pass the shelf exam. However the highest grade I would be guaranteed is a Pass (vs. High Pass or Honors).

Does this make things more recoverable or is a straight pass on medicine still a strong red flag?

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I met with admin today and

The school has agreed strike my failure off the record provided I pass the shelf exam. However the highest grade I would be guaranteed is a Pass (vs. High Pass or Honors).

Does this make things more recoverable or is a straight pass on medicine still a strong red flag?
a lot better than a remediation on record.

Reactions: 5 users
Not a red flag. You just dodged a massive bullet. Knuckle down and pass that shelf exam and move on. Honor/High Pass as much other stuff as you can, but this one Pass won't sink you.

You're still in the running. Be extremely grateful and maximize this second chance you've been given.

Reactions: 7 users

How does dual applying actually work? I've heard you can't apply to two residencies at the same institution (technically you can, but the risk of them hearing you've applied for two is too high and then neither will take you)...not sure how true any of that is

How does dual applying actually work? I've heard you can't apply to two residencies at the same institution (technically you can, but the risk of them hearing you've applied for two is too high and then neither will take you)...not sure how true any of that is
PDs in unrelated fields at the same institution are less likely to talk to one another. There may be some cross-talk between those in similar fields, but the overall risk tends to be lower than the perception it'll tank your chance at either program at the institution, IMO.

Thanks for the comments guys.

I planned on taking a gap year for research and dual applying anyway, but with so many qualified people I have difficulty seeing how a PD would pick my application over all the other apps that are just like mine - but without that blemish.

I'm certainly considering PM&R, still can't see myself in anaesthesia because I'd have major curtain envy, I don't like abdomen stuff so likely not Gsurg, disliked inpatient medicine (lots of great learning but not my jam - cardio EP was so cool though).

I don't know very much about FM but if I could do sports perhaps that would be nice...but that area is unfamiliar to me and FM pay is low.
FM (or other adult primary care) pay isn't that low anymore. CMS has been slowly increasing reimbursements for outpatient primary care over the years to get more people to do it. Once you factor in the additional training time most surgery require (5-7 years vs 3 years for FM or IM), the long hours typically worked during training and as an attending by a surgeon, taxes (most physicians are in the 35% federal tax bracket and add state taxes and Medicare taxes on top of that), and the high malpractice premiums paid by surgical specialties as a whole (often upwards of $100k-200k in high risk surgical specialties), surgical specialties who are employed only make a bit more per hour in most cases than employed primary care counterparts. And they will be financially behind primary care specialties the first few years out of training due to their longer training times.

FM (or other adult primary care) pay isn't that low anymore. CMS has been slowly increasing reimbursements for outpatient primary care over the years to get more people to do it. Once you factor in the additional training time most surgery require (5-7 years vs 3 years for FM or IM), the long hours typically worked during training and as an attending by a surgeon, taxes (most physicians are in the 35% federal tax bracket and add state taxes and Medicare taxes on top of that), and the high malpractice premiums paid by surgical specialties as a whole (often upwards of $100k-200k in high risk surgical specialties), surgical specialties who are employed only make a bit more per hour in most cases than employed primary care counterparts. And they will be financially behind primary care specialties the first few years out of training due to their longer training times.
I think that this is somewhat understood but more and more people may be looking towards “moat” specialties that will retain high pay despite the barrage of full practice legislation

Hello all - Time for another update:

I remediated my exam and received my Pass on medicine.

I had a chance to meet with the dean of my school to review data of past applicants from my institution who matched into orthopedics. With a single pass, I've dropped below the 50th percentile of the class (based on previous class %iles) and it will be extremely unlikely for me to match. The last time someone from my institution matched from below 50th %ile was in 2011.

the bone bro is broken

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users

I had a chance to meet with the dean of my school to review data of past applicants from my institution who matched into orthopedics. With a single pass, I've dropped below the 50th percentile of the class (based on previous class %iles) and it will be extremely unlikely for me to match. The last time someone from my institution matched from below 50th %ile was in 2011.

the bone bro is broken
Sorry bone bro. You sound like a good dude, and I'm sure you'll find the aspects you liked about ortho in another specialty.

Sorry bone bro. You sound like a good dude, and I'm sure you'll find the aspects you liked about ortho in another specialty.

Thanks mate.

All of my mentors have been excellent to me and I feel like I've let everyone down.
Talked to my clerkship director, seems I was one question short of passing, and would have received a high pass had I cleared the shelf...

I will be spending some time this winter at home with family. Hopefully (and perhaps with forum help) I can get some clarity on where to go next.

the bone bro is broken

Is this less than 50% take into account a research year? Cant imagine a single pass even with a research year would screw you up that badly.

Is this less than 50% take into account a research year? Cant imagine a single pass even with a research year would screw you up that badly.
The percentile data was from clerkship grades only as that's how our school ranks students (and it will be included in the MSPE). It wasn't a holistic overview, but nobody in the bottom half of the class has ever matched this past decade.

Last edited:
If I were you, I'd still go for my desired specialty with a backup plan +/- a research year if possible. If you don't try, you'll never know whether you had a chance or not, and not knowing would slowly eat my soul away.

If I were you, I'd still go for my desired specialty with a backup plan +/- a research year if possible. If you don't try, you'll never know whether you had a chance or not, and not knowing would slowly eat my soul away.

That's a tough one. With >1800 seemingly perfect self-selected applicants for 800 spots, and stories like that Rothman Fellow on reddit not matching - it seems unlikely that I'll be able to work my way out of this setback.

I've heard that a lot of other specialities like rads and anaesthesia are becoming significantly more competitive too...

Last edited:
That's a tough one. With >1800 seemingly perfect self-selected applicants for 800 spots, and stories like that Rothman Fellow on reddit not matching - it seems unlikely that I'll be able to work my way out of this setback.

I've heard that a lot of other specialities like rads and anaesthesia are becoming significantly more competitive too...

I'd say try to get exposure to any other specialties you may be interested in soon. Anecdotally, most people I know who were interested in ortho, but decided against went into anesthesia or rads. A couple into PM&R.

I think dual applying is still a good option, but would really research it beforehand to make sure everything is squared away. I have just a rotation and some research in a surgical sub-specialty (no sub-I, no aways) I ultimately decided against and have been asked about it in probably half of my interviews, seemingly to gauge if I'm dual applying.

My concern would be dual applying and either because of your CV, away rotations, etc. the non-ortho specialty can see you are clearly dual applying and then don't give you a chance. I didn't dual apply, so I'm not sure how real some of these concerns are, but just something I would make sure you have a good grasp of before jumping in.

I'd say try to get exposure to any other specialties you may be interested in soon. Anecdotally, most people I know who were interested in ortho, but decided against went into anesthesia or rads. A couple into PM&R.

I think dual applying is still a good option, but would really research it beforehand to make sure everything is squared away. I have just a rotation and some research in a surgical sub-specialty (no sub-I, no aways) I ultimately decided against and have been asked about it in probably half of my interviews, seemingly to gauge if I'm dual applying.

My concern would be dual applying and either because of your CV, away rotations, etc. the non-ortho specialty can see you are clearly dual applying and then don't give you a chance. I didn't dual apply, so I'm not sure how real some of these concerns are, but just something I would make sure you have a good grasp of before jumping in.

Yes absolutely, the dean mentioned that even in family medicine people are starting to turn their nose away at obvious dual applicants.
The sooner I know, the better, so I can jump on some research in the field accordingly.

Here's my list and impressions of specialties I'm considering from my experiences on wards and reading about what people have to say. Not sure how realistic these are, but yeah:

Radiology: lower bullpoop to doctoring ratio, good lifestyle and compensation, some procedures - however increasing pace of scans seems to squeeze folks and seems private practice rads is dying and being bought out by private equity firms (maybe I should get my MBA and jump ship...). Rads Mammo seems nice because of patient interaction, however sounds like it's a bit litigious. I wonder if neurointerventional would also be a possibility from direct rads, but overall seems absolutely brutal.

Anaesthesiology: good lifestyle and compensation, workdays seem like 80% calm; 10% manoeuvring table; 10% crap they're dying must resuscitate - however I am not sure I would enjoy the physiology as much. The idea of autopiloting until **** hits the fan sounds nice, and a few anesthesiologists I know use their downtime time to manage some med startups that they've founded. I like how this sounds in theory too.

PM&R: good lifestyle, relatively lower pay (and seems to be falling?), MSK-focused pathology, but I think would be a lot of very ill patients and lots of long-term care. My main hesitation comes from the fact that most of the people I admitted on the IM clerkship to PM&R were very old and sick, and I'm not sure if that would be the same as working with the old-lady-who-just-needs-a-new-knee population.

FM Sports: moderate lifestyle, relatively lower pay, lots of paperwork, will still need to see general FM, but I will have a chance to join an ortho private practice in an FM role or do direct primary care and be my own boss and run/grow a clinic space both of which I would like to do. I also like the idea of being a village doctor, and it gives me a good feeling to think I could take a jet anywhere around the world, sit down with a blood pressure cuff and a stethescope, and make a real difference in people's lives.

Last edited:

One life... worth an attempt in my eyes. Why settle?

very kind of the captain of the 1st division to drop by

because something like an Ortho/Rads or Ortho/Anesthesia dual application would be too high-risk for my taste, and if my own dean is telling me not to apply (and my institution's match rate for the folks she does recommend apply into ortho is a garbage 50-60% anyway) I'm not liking the odds

"one life"...I don't have big enough balls to YOLO the match lol

very kind of the captain of the 1st division to drop by

because something like an Ortho/Rads or Ortho/Anesthesia dual application would be too high-risk for my taste, and if my own dean is telling me not to apply (and my institution's match rate for the folks she does recommend apply into ortho is a garbage 50-60% anyway) I'm not liking the odds

"one life"...I don't have big enough balls to YOLO the match lol
I would take anything a dean tells you with a grain of salt. They often give advice from the perspective of trying to protect their stats. One P does not a failure applicant make…

Not matching is NOT the end of the world contrary to popular belief. No it’s not fun, and it can be devastating in the moment, but things work out for US grads in the end.

Personally I think if you really want to do something then you should try. Just have a well thought out back up/plan B in case you don’t match.

Does your school have 'protected' surg prelim spots not filled in the match?

What are your boards like? Or are you in the P/F cohort? I'm in less prestigious field but the two programs I've been at we were boards>>>class rank for interviews and personality=>board scores>>>class rank. Class ranks are so variable from school as to be somewhat nebulous in meaning and questionable in value, as a student with an excellent rank at one school may have a terrible one in another. There's gotta be some ortho programs that look at it the same way.

Good points, thanks guys. I'll see what the PD thinks and go from there.
By the way, I'm P/F

Last edited:
Hello folks, spoke with the PD and was told that though a single pass won't doom me per se, I will mainly be compared to the people in my school applying within the specialty and my ranking in the bottom quartiles would be a poor look. Not sure if 3rd or 4th yet, but the dean did warn me they weight medicine and surgery much higher than others or something and to be prepared...

Past few months have been an epoch of the big suck and I'm getting tired of it all

• Care
OP- how does the rest of your app look? Sorry if I missed the post, but to my eye that’s the key piece here. Every orthopod I know acts like they can’t even spell hypertension much less manage it, so you’d think a P in medicine wouldn’t be so bad. If everything else is honors and there’s a lone P, it seems like you might have a shot.

I think they keys are the rest of your app combined with how well liked are you by your home department. If you’re really really liked, that might even be enough to get a match. They people I’ve seen overcome poor stats are universally beloved and generally awesome people that everyone likes. If that’s you, then maybe consider giving Ortho a shot though with a solid idea for a backup plan, whether that’s a dual app or a research year or something else.

Because fields like Rads and Anesthesia are no longer shoo ins, even if they aren't competitive on the level of ortho. If OPs application smells too much like dual app, it may tank his chances for his back up specialty. Also going full send ortho and then likely ending up having to reapply next cycle as a former graduate instead of current senior is not a good time and is an automatic red flag at a lot of places.

So unless OPs preferred back up is FM-->sports, there is absolutely a case to be made for abandoning ortho and pivoting ASAP for the best chance at his/her second choice specialty. It probably doesn't look too pretty to an idealistic point of view, but there are plenty of practical reasons for "why settle?", its not like specialties other than ortho will take everyone with a pulse and a bare minimum app.

the bone bro is broken
So I agree with everyone that you need to be very careful before you decide to dual-apply. However, presumably you are currently below the 50th percentile RIGHT NOW. If you get all Honors on your remaining rotations, how high could you rise? What about various mixes of H/HP?

If you can be equally happy applying to a less competitive specialty, that's always a good idea. But I also would not prematurely make a specialty decision with incomplete data.

Finally I say this not to kick you while you are down, but rather as advice for other students who may be in a similar situation in the future--this is why students really should consider an LOA/asking if it is possible to postpone an exam in the face of personal tragedy. Everyone thinks that they can bootstrap their way through, but it is awful when a single misstep like this can derail a career.

Last edited:
Finally I say this not to kick you while you are down, but rather as advice for other students who may be in a similar situation in the future--this is why students really should consider an LOA/asking if it is possible to postpone an exam in the face of personal tragedy. Everyone thinks that they can bootstrap their way through, but it is awful when a single misstep like this can derail a career.
Endorse. Have a friend going through this right now - she didn't take an LOA for financial reasons and now might be out of medicine entirely. Heartbreaking.

• Care
Hello folks, spoke with the PD and was told that though a single pass won't doom me per se, I will mainly be compared to the people in my school applying within the specialty and my ranking in the bottom quartiles would be a poor look. Not sure if 3rd or 4th yet, but the dean did warn me they weight medicine and surgery much higher than others or something and to be prepared...

Past few months have been an epoch of the big suck and I'm getting tired of it all
Having read your posts, you seem extremely down to earth bud. I would go down radiology, be amazing at it, and if you don’t like it because it’s too boring for you then go deep into IR. I cannot fathom that if you have this risk averse attitude and that you have the maturity to accept that this is a little dangerous to persist, that you would not be happy going down the radiology path.

I find your original reasoning to dodge anesthesia sound.

FM pays more money than you think but is hard work and somewhat less options to have a hands on procedure run practice.

PMR if you really like the rehab stuff is fine, and the pay to work ratio is awesome even if overall pay a touch lower.

I think your original posts were spot on mate. I’d explore rads very thoroughly and dive deep towards IR. If you end up not liking IR you’ll still live a great life.

I disagree with others saying to persist. I wish I had mentors that had told me not to pursue surg onc much earlier and much more frequently. I eventually made it but it was 90% luck and LOTS of serious failures that did a number on my psyche. Not something I talk about very often but I understand very well your pauses.

Thanks for all the replies and kind words - will try to respond to everyone without sharing too much identifying information in case my friends are reading.

@operaman I'm not a brilliant all-honors student but pretty decent. The chair and mentors like me and I've been told I do a good job, but I think I'm not the genius superstar they'd move heaven and earth for. By the way, medicine is definitely something PDs look at, and I recall reading somewhere that success in non-surgical rotations is more predictive of resident performance than surgical rotation alone.

@GoSpursGo - dean says if I honored all my remaining rotations I'd likely still be bottom 50% because of how things are weighted. My Uworld percentages were stable and so I went forward with the exam, but yes I agree - I wish I had asked for a breath rather than trying to power through (but hindsight is 20/20).

@Lem0nz - Thanks man and congrats on surviving the tough path to SurgOnc. I am trying remind myself that I can still help people and do meaningful work wherever I end up (provided I match hah) which is ultimately what brought me to medicine in the first place - but it's hard. I want to do a lot of shadowing before I make up my mind and rads will certainly be on that list!

Last edited:
  • Care
@GoSpursGo - dean says if I honored all my remaining rotations I'd likely still be bottom 50% because of how things are weighted. My Uworld percentages were stable and so I went forward with the exam, but yes I agree - I wish I had asked for a breath rather than trying to power through (but hindsight is 20/20).
That sucks. Then I agree, unless you have very high risk tolerance a change in specialty is likely a good idea

OP to be frank. You can make it; the question is how much time you're willing to work for it and how much misery and tragedy you can handle. I'll tell you a story, from an honors student I went to **** the bed in my master's program (I failed 1 internship and the other one corona happened and my life blew up apart and I gotta hand in the report like 2 years later). Now I can finish it but hey not too good. In the meantime, I got accepted into a highly competitive med graduate program (I live in Europe) where they only take 20/300 students.... into 2 universities. I did this by spinning the numbers a bit, getting a good LOR, and knowing how to sell myself. Honestly, it sounds like you're not ****ed yet. Try step 2 and see what else u can do. The issue here is it might take u longer than other people, and if u can deal with that.

The issue is that I see you've given up honestly. Do you know what I put in my personal statement? I applied to this program because I got rejected from the bachelor of medicine 3 times, just to show how deep I was n this ****ing mess. I did pay for it psychologially, but that's what I wanted.

You can fight and lose or u can give up and try something else. It's up to you.

• Dislike
  • Okay...
OP to be frank. You can make it; the question is how much time you're willing to work for it and how much misery and tragedy you can handle. I'll tell you a story, from an honors student I went to **** the bed in my master's program (I failed 1 internship and the other one corona happened and my life blew up apart and I gotta hand in the report like 2 years later). Now I can finish it but hey not too good. In the meantime, I got accepted into a highly competitive med graduate program (I live in Europe) where they only take 20/300 students.... into 2 universities. I did this by spinning the numbers a bit, getting a good LOR, and knowing how to sell myself. Honestly, it sounds like you're not ****ed yet. Try step 2 and see what else u can do. The issue here is it might take u longer than other people, and if u can deal with that.

The issue is that I see you've given up honestly. Do you know what I put in my personal statement? I applied to this program because I got rejected from the bachelor of medicine 3 times, just to show how deep I was n this ****ing mess. I did pay for it psychologially, but that's what I wanted.

You can fight and lose or u can give up and try something else. It's up to you.
Respectfully, you have no idea how the residency matching process works in the United States or how competitive orthopedic surgery residency programs are. This advice would not be in the OP’s best interest

Reactions: 8 users
Respectfully, you have no idea how the residency matching process works in the United States or how competitive orthopedic surgery residency programs are. This advice would not be in the OP’s best interest
You know what? You're right, I don't have the same insight as you. What I do know is that those specialties are competitive anywhere in the world (Respectfully, to get into general surgery where I live u need, yes need, a PhD and at least 2 years of clinical experience. So that's like 5-6 years u gotta invest to just get in the residency)
I was simply relating OP to the tale of myself who did try and pull something out of his hat. If he wants it (I know u want to say getting into med school isn't the same, please understand I didn't tell the whole tale there), he can find some obscure way to do it. It might not work and cause damage to himself, but that's the risk he takes. The thing is, he just doesn't come across as a person to be able to handle something like that, so it's better if he doesn't try.

• Okay...
Is there a possibility that op can get a specialty that's procedure heavy if they don't match into surgery? I know urologists, obgyn, interventional radiologists, and cardiologists are procedure heavy. While not being a surgeon I would guess they could set their practice up to do mostly procedures.

Is there a possibility that op can get a specialty that's procedure heavy if they don't match into surgery? I know urologists, obgyn, interventional radiologists, and cardiologists are procedure heavy. While not being a surgeon I would guess they could set their practice up to do mostly procedures.
Urology is a surgical subspecialty and is also very competitive. IR is highly competitive,

IM—>cards and ob/gyn are more attainable, with the caveat that cards is competitive following IM and some of the more surgically oriented gyn fellowships are too

However if the OP's Step 2 score is >250 and he performed well on his SubI's and has glowing rec letters and a few pubs, would he still be in the running for ortho even if his class rank is the bottom 50% percentile? Also, his school may go by quintiles, so he could be top 3/5 or top 4/5?

I've seen top 3/5 match into ortho in the past...... This post makes it seem that the class rank is so important that it negates the other factors

However if the OP's Step 2 score is >250 and he performed well on his SubI's and has glowing rec letters and a few pubs, would he still be in the running for ortho even if his class rank is the bottom 50% percentile? Also, his school may go by quintiles, so he could be top 3/5 or top 4/5?

I've seen top 3/5 match into ortho in the past...... This post makes it seem that the class rank is so important that it negates the other factors
I would say that class rank is indeed much more important than the other factors. It is really hard to overcome because the successful applicants will have all of those characteristics, plus the higher class rank. Whether class rank can be overcome, I think depends on your institution. In this case, the OP said the last time someone matched from the bottom 50% was 2011, so it seems like it is very difficult to overcome from his institution.

There may be an additional point at play here, which is simply the school's willingness to go to bat for a student in the bottom 50%. It is possible that the school is only willing to vouch strongly for the students in the top 50%, and while anyone can technically apply from the bottom half if they want to they will not get the same level of endorsement from the school. It is a bit of conjecture--but that would be the message I would interpret if I was the OP, given that the dean and PD are both actively discouraging him from applying. If you're in the bottom half of the class, AND your school isn't vouching for you, then I'm not sure how you overcome that.