no love from your state school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentalicous1234

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
everyone usually says that the best chance at dental school acceptances is with your state school. Why is it that I get no love from mine and if anything they are the ones to encourage applying next cycle instead of helping me with this cycle like other schools? :mad::(

Members don't see this ad.

They can't just give you an acceptance. You have to earn it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know what you mean...TRUST ME...Me and Fayew was just talking about how crazy that is...we both got accepted to Ivy League schools but haven't heard anything from our state schools yet...:thumbdown: Her state school is Michigan and my is UNC...
She got into Harvard and Penn and I got into Columbia...ironic? I think so...

everyone usually says that the best chance at dental school acceptances is with your state school. Why is it that I get no love from mine and if anything they are the ones to encourage applying next cycle instead of helping me with this cycle like other schools? :mad::(

UCSF is the first rejection my friend got, and she's from SF. She has better stats than me, too.

lemme guess, no research for either of you?

I also have no love from my state school!
I wonder what they are doing in the office!:confused:
Anyway, go Giants~~;)

I'm from CA and I haven't received any love from all 5 of their schools. However, I've completed or scheduled now 6 interviews with the out of state schools I applied to?!?!? You would think with the minimal success I've had so far I would get an interview from one of my state schools. Stupid process for sure!

too bad you're not from NV, UNLV gets ~140 in-state apps for ~50 in-state spots:)

Slow your roll dog! I've been accepted into school for the upcoming fall. You have no clue why my stats are the way they are so you shouldn't go down that road so quickly. My feelings about the application process are that it is a frustrating, confusing, stupid, exhilarating, humbling, etc process. As far as me not getting into every school I applied to because other students having higher stats than me...humbling. Me having 6 interviews so far and none from my home state....STUPID. Thanks for asking first.

I'm from CA and I haven't received any love from all 5 of their schools. However, I've completed or scheduled now 6 interviews with the out of state schools I applied to?!?!? You would think with the minimal success I've had so far I would get an interview from one of my state schools. Stupid process for sure!

Only UCLA and UCSF officially hold more spots for residents and those are top schools, don't feel bad about not getting in. Besides you're in somewhere else and in the end you'll have the same letters behind your name.

If you don't mind what are your stats?

Thanks UNR.Grad for the positive words. I know that the title will be the same and thats what make me feel comfortable about taking my son away from his family for school. I know UCLA/UCSF are the state schools but I'm a Cali guy and I think you automatically have some kind of upper hand on all of the CA schools (dumb I know). My stats are a GPA hovering around 3.0 and a helter skelter DAT with an overall of 17/19 (If you look at the threads I've started you can see my full application bio.). BTW, I took a tour at UNLV before I applied and they were real high on my list. That was until I heard nothing from them and now I know its to late there.

Sucks to have Cali or NY as your home state. They have some of the best school systems and produce more of the top students in the country. Not having a Cali school respond means nothing. Just that you didn't keep up with the competition. LL and USC tied two cycles ago for the low AA, with a score of 20. Like that benchmark standard?

Cali students don't have that much of an instate advantage. However, those Texas kids are really lucky.

I was rejected from my state school as well (UF). But, looking back on the entire application process, I think they had a pretty good reason to reject me. It was my first interview, and I was incredibly nervous and I prepared way too much. At the time, I thought the interview went alright, but after going on other interviews, I realized that my first interview was awful. But, I have moved on. I generally think things happen for a reason, and there must be a good reason why I am supposed to go elsewhere. :)

They can't just give you an acceptance. You have to earn it.

ouch!!

But it's true. It must show that you are not as competitive as other applicants, in their eyes, and honestly there is nothing you can do about it. hang in there, seats will still open up.

and to what navy said... he was absolutely right...a little harsh...but true. no one wants to hear that their not a number one pick, but its a reality we have to face.

You will be going to a school that is 10000000000 times better then UF! :D
Congrats and good luck! ;)

I was rejected from my state school as well (UF). But, looking back on the entire application process, I think they had a pretty good reason to reject me. It was my first interview, and I was incredibly nervous and I prepared way too much. At the time, I thought the interview went alright, but after going on other interviews, I realized that my first interview was awful. But, I have moved on. I generally think things happen for a reason, and there must be a good reason why I am supposed to go elsewhere. :)

You can't predict the whole application process. I am sure there are people with lower stats who got in but by the same token there probably are people with 3.5+ with competitive DAT scores that are left out in the cold wondering what is wrong with their application. It's just submit the application and take what is given to you in terms of interviews. I personally approached the whole process humbly and hoping for A interview and when I got that I was hoping for AN acceptance. I just was hoping for any school to accept me because admission is a privilege not a right.

I realize they can't just give it to you but it's just confusing to see applicants with much lower stats get in but be told over the phone that you need to re-take dat or take post-bac classes when those numbers are above others that they have admitted?! I realize there are ones with better stats that get in too so it goes both ways. I guess that's why it's frustrating since its your state school and they should at least give you the chance when they aren't a reach school for you and are accepting people with the same or lower (and yes higher) stats. I identify myself as a good match so I don't understand why I'm not even given an opportunity or even a late opportunity now to state my case. I just have recieved no news from them and yes no news is better then bad news, esp. the bad news/"advice" i get everytime i call to check up or send an email, but it's getting late in the cycle now and so i am confused as to why i still haven't heard anything? when apparently your best chances lie at your state school. :confused:

Am I missing something? Thank you to those for adding productive responses! I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one getting no love from my state school and that it does happen to others but I still think it's not fair esp. if you're competitive for them. GOOD LUCK to everyone still waiting to hear some news :)

Whats your home state?

State schools are the most competitive schools for their residents because it is by far the cheapest option.

Simple math: Good education + low price = high demand