No luck with Reference letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predentalgirl00

Reaction score
How can I ask my professor who I do not know to write a letter for me? She responded saying she doesn't know me personally enough and she's my last option because I already have one science professor. I just need hers and I don't know what else I can say to her to just have me write an average letter? What can I say?

Members don't see this ad.

You don’t ask a professor you do not know to write a letter for you. The fact that she turned you down should be indication enough that it would not be a good option and should not be pursued further.

Reactions: 1 user
How can I ask my professor who I do not know to write a letter for me? She responded saying she doesn't know me personally enough and she's my last option because I already have one science professor. I just need hers and I don't know what else I can say to her to just have me write an average letter? What can I say?

Are there any other science professors who’s office hours you went to? Or maybe spoke to after class? You wouldn’t want to make someone who refused previously to write you a letter of rec.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools accept science letters from science professors other than from chem or bio. You must have taken a nutrition class or something right? Also some schools do not put limits on who you get your letters from. So you may just have to change which schools you’re applying to.

Have you tried to request a committee letter?

You might want to check on how committee letters are structured.

I got one submitted for me, I’m aware of how my school constructs theirs. No need to check.

Last edited:
I've seen posted in other threads on here. Reach out to any science professor that you have taken a class with and did relatively well. Structure the email saying something along the lines of "Hi, my name is so and so, i took your class xyz back in whatever year and am seeking a LOR. Would it be possible to chat with your on the phone or zoom and discuss my resume, a little bit me and my situation?" If you search around on the thread you will find threads with this same advice (probably worded better than mine haha). But the point is, offer to at least introduce yourself and have them get to know you if they are up for it, that way you can a decent letter from them.

I've seen posted in other threads on here. Reach out to any science professor that you have taken a class with and did relatively well. Structure the email saying something along the lines of "Hi, my name is so and so, i took your class xyz back in whatever year and am seeking a LOR. Would it be possible to chat with your on the phone or zoom and discuss my resume, a little bit me and my situation?" If you search around on the thread you will find threads with this same advice (probably worded better than mine haha). But the point is, offer to at least introduce yourself and have them get to know you if they are up for it, that way you can a decent letter from them.

Indeed, of any science class that you take. I know I would prefer to humbly ask professors of the classes you took classes with than to switch up your school list completely(you chose them for a reason). There are some professors that would just write one because they know you need it, it may not be the strongest letter but it certainly won’t cause auto rejection. I know some of my professors write letters once you gotten an A or B in their class. They are used to students doing this that they barely know.

There may be even a possibility that you can luckily stumble on a professor that allowed you to write one yourself and just read it and sign off on it (I know some that have done this but it’s very rare). Don’t give up! I felt hopeless as I only had one biochem professor who I did research with & a dentist but my school does committee letters & she so happens to be on the pre dental committee board. It will work out in your favor.

I didn't go to a single office hour session for all my professors that wrote me a letter of rec.

If I got an A or better in their class, I sent them an email asking for a letter of rec. I attached my resume, and offered if they would like to have my personal statement. I sent emails to 4 profs and 3 out of 4 got back to me and agreed to write me letters.
- Short greeting
- Gave them brief intro of who I am (1-2 sentences)
- Stated my grade in their class
- Gave reason for email (1-2 sentences)
- Asked VERY politely and humbly if they are willing to write a letter on my behalf
- Asked whether I can come to their office and discuss further if they would like to

Of course, professors will vary. I'm quite sure the letters from my profs are pretty vanilla, and I'm pretty sure one of the professors only wrote me a letter because my dad emailed him and told him to respond to me. But 3 vanilla letters are better than nothing.

Plus my dad told me graduate/professional schools normally don't weigh LoRs heavily (since LoRs normally say the same thing; how great the student is, how they're passionate etc). As long they're not negative its okay.
(If you're wondering about my dad's credibility and credentials to give me this advice: he's a director of a Veterinary Medicine school and leads the admissions process for prospective DVM students.)

If you would like to see what I wrote in my emails, feel free to PM.

Reactions: 1 users
I didn't go to a single office hour session for all my professors that wrote me a letter of rec.

If I got an A or better in their class, I sent them an email asking for a letter of rec. I attached my resume, and offered if they would like to have my personal statement. I sent emails to 4 profs and 3 out of 4 got back to me and agreed to write me letters.
- Short greeting
- Gave them brief intro of who I am (1-2 sentences)
- Stated my grade in their class
- Gave reason for email (1-2 sentences)
- Asked VERY politely and humbly if they are willing to write a letter on my behalf
- Asked whether I can come to their office and discuss further if they would like to

Of course, professors will vary. I'm quite sure the letters from my profs are pretty vanilla, and I'm pretty sure one of the professors only wrote me a letter because my dad emailed him and told him to respond to me. But 3 vanilla letters are better than nothing.

Plus my dad told me graduate/professional schools normally don't weigh LoRs heavily (since LoRs normally say the same thing; how great the student is, how they're passionate etc). As long they're not negative its okay.
(If you're wondering about my dad's credibility and credentials to give me this advice: he's a director of a Veterinary Medicine school and leads the admissions process for prospective DVM students.)

If you would like to see what I wrote in my emails, feel free to PM.
Maybe your dad can write him a letter?

• Haha
There are schools that do not require 2 science LOR or even 1 science LOR. You can change where you apply to fit your application. I have literally 0 science LOR.

Last edited: