No MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tompharm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I was wondering if there were DO or MD schools that don't require the MCAT and where are they located?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys I was wondering if there were DO or MD schools that don't require the MCAT and where are they located?
Not in the United States and none that are accredited. So... basically no.

Reactions: 1 user
There are some special programs that will allow you to get around it such as the Tufts early assurance Maine track program, but they are few and far between.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're not going to get around this monster, if there was a way, everyone would do it.

Some Caribbean schools don't require it.

Windsor university, aureus university, Xavier university, and destiny university don't require an MCAT, only a pulse and a plane ticket to the Caribbean.

Oh da monies :greedy:
Well I had a 3.4 gpa overall and I don't remember what I got in sciences but I retook gen chem 2 and organic 1 and 2 and got an A in both of those the rest is b or better.
I also have a pharm d degree
what do you guys think about my chances of getting into a MD or DO program

Well I had a 3.4 gpa overall and I don't remember what I got in sciences but I retook gen chem 2 and organic 1 and 2 and got an A in both of those the rest is b or better.
without an MCAT score, zilch.

Pretty good with an MCAT score.

If you already have a pharm d why would you want to spend four more years in school plus a minimum of 3 years of residency plus $300k in debt? That sounds just awful. Save your money

If you already have a pharm d why would you want to spend four more years in school plus a minimum of 3 years of residency plus $300k in debt? That sounds just awful. Save your money
I met a couple of pharm d applicants while on the interview trail. It surprised me at first and I asked why, and both explained the pharm job market is not the best. Whatever floats their boat and pays the bills (eventually) I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are some special programs that will allow you to get around it such as the Tufts early assurance Maine track program, but they are few and far between.
Yep. Most that I've heard of are aimed at retaining their undergrads or fulfilling physician deficits via contract (ex: committing to rural medicine for x amount of years).

In your case... you're gonna have to take the MCAT.

one school does ATSU, but you have to be starting your third year as an undergraduate to apply. They do an early acceptance and you don't need to do the mcat and need to have 75% of your prereqs done. If you do get in, you start the fall after you graduate. This is a really good school and I wish I would have done this. Here's the link for more info: http://www.atsu.edu/kcom/admissions/preparing_DO_admission/still_scholars/index.htm

As much as it hurts to say it, you have to take the MCAT. It's horrible I know and I feel sometimes that it's the only thing admissions looks at. I see a lot more people getting into med school with high MCATs and crappy GPAs than the other way around. So that should tell you something

dude.. take the damn test.

It's called the Medical College ADMISSIONS Test for a reason.....

For real. Have you taken a practice test or anything yet?

Yea, the MCAT is a bit of a pain, but it's difficulty is really overstated. It's not that bad and don't let some four hour long test be the reason you didn't pursue what you want.

Yea, the MCAT is a bit of a pain, but it's difficulty is really overstated. It's not that bad and don't let some four hour long test be the reason you didn't pursue what you want.
As much as I hated it, it was an opportunity for me. With a history of intermittent academic performance, and being a non trad student, the MCAT allowed me to show that I was still competitive academically.

Some MD schools do not, but do say you'll be at a disadvantage if not taken. I think Giesel at Dartmouth is one of these

Holy crap I thought you were joking so I looked it up:

All candidates are expected to present scores from the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT). Students who choose not to submit MCAT scores will be at a disadvantage.

Why do these schools even make it a possibility to not take it? They clearly aren't low on qualified applicants. What's stopping someone that's so qualified to not even need one from just taking it?

I don't know whether the difficulty of the MCAT is overstated or not, but it seems like out of all the admissions test out there (PCAT, DAT, GRE etc..), the MCAT is arguably the worst one. The VR section is a BIG pain IMO.

Last edited:
1385366293471.jpg

Here:
http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2013/02/28/mount-sinai-rethinks-medical-school-admissions
In a major policy shift, the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai Wednesday announced that it will fill half of its entering class going forward by admitting college sophomores -- three years before they would enroll in medical school -- and will do so without requiring traditional pre-med course requirements and the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT).

I don't know whether the difficulty of the MCAT is overstated or not, but it seems like out of all the admissions test out there (PCAT, DAT, GRE etc..), the MCAT is arguably the worst one. The VR section is a BIG pain IMO.

My friend actually took both the LSAT and MCAT and he said the LSAT was much worse. Also the GRE could be harder if you aren't a pure math person like me.

This . The MCAT alone should not keep anyone out of med school

Here:
http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2013/02/28/mount-sinai-rethinks-medical-school-admissions
In a major policy shift, the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai Wednesday announced that it will fill half of its entering class going forward by admitting college sophomores -- three years before they would enroll in medical school -- and will do so without requiring traditional pre-med course requirements and the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT).
That is bold. I wonder if these students won't be at a disadvantage since they have to know some of these basic science anyway... I think that will be an added stress during med school. I guess you pick your poison... MCAT stress vs More stress in med school!

That is bold. I wonder if these students won't be at a disadvantage since they have to know some of these basic science anyway... I think that will be an added stress during med school. I guess you pick your poison... MCAT stress vs More stress in med school!

Is this only for college sophomores or can regular applicants apply without the mcat as well.

The MCAT looks like a piece of cake compared to the Boards that you're going have to take. My advice is just take the damn thing.

ehhhh that's debatable and different for most people. Remember the boards don't have physics or chemistry on it.

So, you are saying the boards are going to be harder?
Some people are epically horrible at chemistry and physics, but somehow pull off A+'s with Biology stuff. So perhaps the boards would be easier to study for them (after 2 yrs of med school of course) than the MCAT.

ehhhh that's debatable and different for most people. Remember the boards don't have physics or chemistry on it.

Dude, what? I guess med students take that biochemistry course just for kicks.

I'd focus on actually taking the MCAT before you compare it's difficulty to the step 1. You're not the first person in history to dislike chemistry and physics.

Dude, what? I guess med students take that biochemistry course just for kicks.

I'd focus on actually taking the MCAT before you compare it's difficulty to the step 1. You're not the first person in history to dislike chemistry and physics.

Ahhh I took biochem and it's very different from general cham and even organic. No comparison

Some people are epically horrible at chemistry and physics, but somehow pull off A+'s with Biology stuff. So perhaps the boards would be easier to study for them (after 2 yrs of med school of course) than the MCAT.

Yep that's me which is why I'm calling for an all bio mcat

Yup that's me

tompharm your gonna need to take the mcat. Good news is in my opinion your pharmacy background is more then enough for the biosection (I spent a few days going over a review book). Focus your time preparing for the physical science and verbal sections and take it sometime in 2014. GL!

Yeah no. You realize you cover like 1 semester of undergrad material in a month or two in medical school and that two years of medical school material are on boards?

Yeah no. You realize you cover like 1 semester of undergrad material in a month or two in medical school and that two years of medical school material are on boards?

You do not cover physics in med school, you do not cover gen chem in med school. You are taking hardcore bio related subjects with minimum physical sciences in them. Biochem is great and is mostly related to molecular biology and not actual chemistry.

You do not cover physics in med school, you do not cover gen chem in med school. You are taking hardcore bio related subjects with minimum physical sciences in them. Biochem is great and is mostly related to molecular biology and not actual chemistry.
Thank you for the clarification. I was like "WUT. Does this mean I shouldn't have trashed my notes?" at his post.

The issue isn't really the subjects but rather the volume.

The issue isn't really the subjects but rather the volume.

No it's definitely the subjects (but volume could have a say to). Some people, like myself, are horrible at chem and physics. Just the way our brains work and it's a shame that can keep you out of med school.

My friend actually took both the LSAT and MCAT and he said the LSAT was much worse. Also the GRE could be harder if you aren't a pure math person like me.

I took the LSAT and did decently well on it (86th percentile).

The thing about the LSAT is, if you cannot get your mind to process information in the very specific way it wants...you're going to do terribly. I'm not sure if this is something that can be learned...whereas on the MCAT, you can learn pretty much anything.

Something on the LSAT that was particularly annoying was the "game" section..

A question would go something like, you have 7 people in your class. Suzy only wears blue, and rides the bus on wednesday and fridays, Jack never rides the bus and wears green and yellow. Jon rides the bus everyday and wears black. Steve wears any color but never the same as Suzy or Fred and rides the bus on Monday and Friday. Kelly never rides the bus. Fred wears Green and Pink, and rides the bus on Tuesdays.

Who's riding the bus on Thursday and what colors are they wearing?

Just miserable....

No it's definitely the subjects (but volume could have a say to).

You're telling a medical student that he is wrong in his claim that the difficulties with medical school aren't tied to the subjects as much as it is the volume.

Please take a step back and consider how you're making yourself look right now.

Reactions: 1 users
You're telling a medical student that he is wrong in his claim that the difficulties with medical school aren't tied to the subjects as much as it is the volume.

Please take a step back and consider how you're making yourself look right now.

First off, I said that some people, like myself, can handle volumes of biology but not volumes of chem and physics which make it subject oriented. Secondly if you read (it can be tied to volume) you would have seen that I don't throw that claim out the window. Yes I understand that there is a large amount of material in med school. However, a student might do well because it's biological material and not physical science oriented. Thirdly I was talking about college and not med school.

First off, I said that some people, like myself, can handle volumes of biology but not volumes of chem and physics which make it subject oriented. Secondly if you read (it can be tied to volume) you would have seen that I don't throw that claim out the window. Yes I understand that there is a large amount of material in med school. However, a student might do well because it's biological material and not physical science oriented. Thirdly I was talking about college and not med school.

I'm not going to get into semantics, but suffice it to say I've read enough of your posts. Good luck getting over your fear of the physical sciences.

I'm not going to get into semantics, but suffice it to say I've read enough of your posts. Good luck getting over your fear of the physical sciences.

Just curious, what makes you think you're an expert?

You do not cover physics in med school, you do not cover
gen chem in med school
. You are taking hardcore bio related subjects with minimum physical sciences in them. Biochem is great and is mostly related to molecular biology and not actual chemistry.

You don't. Because they are pre-requisite courses that you're expected to have passed before you're accepted. Gen chem/physics were both serious weak points (on the MCAT, as well) but I'm glad I took them. And you may not have them as discrete subjects here, but you do see them trickle in again. Acid/base chemistry reared its ugly head again at the beginning of the semester. Stop running from them and try to expand your understanding, you'll be a lot happier.

Further, reading the chain of posts and replies in the thread tells me you're making assertions about things you haven't experienced yet (boards, med school volume vs. subject matter). I know at one point you said you were talking about undergrad and not med school, but the person you were replying to (mcloaf) was talking clearly about med school.

You need to know chemistry. Why? Because medical textbooks read like this: Metabolic acidosis: Blood pH <7.3 and serum HCO3- <15 mEq/L; Increased anion gap — due to production of ketones (acetoacetate and b-hydroxybutyrate) ...

One of my best friends couldn't break an 8 on the VR to save their life. They got a 255 on the USMLE and said it was easier because there was no VR.

I think there are a couple people like that out there, heck I thought the sciences on MCAT were cake because you can STUDY for them, unlike the VR.