No more MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eedoctor

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 29 years old, and I have the following MD/PhD interviews ahead:

Columbia
NYU

Most likely, I will not get interviews for MD/PhD for these:

Harvard
UCSF
UCSD
Northwestern
UCLA

I originally applied to MD/PhD, but after going on a few MD/PhD interviews, I honestly have no desire to pursue this track anymore. I would only like to pursue an MD-only.

1) Should I not change my application status? (ie, Do MD departments look at the application at the same time as MD/PhD ) (emphasis on Harvard, here...)

2) Should I change my status? Would this help me get a interview for an MD-program quicker? (ie, does the application sit in the MD/PhD queue for a while... then get switched to the MD-queue at the last minute?) my 2ndary's were submitted in late september.

I have a 35 MCAT, and Master's Degree in Biomedical Engineering. GPA (3.7 undergrad, 4.0 Graduate)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would be wary of making it seem like you made a sudden change in plans. I understand that things you saw on your previous interviews may have made you understand that MD/PhD is not the life you want, but I would assume that an adcom would want you to have explored that already--prior to applying.

I also think some schools, if you don't get in as an MD/PhD, give you the option of being considered for MD only. I can't remember where I read this, so can someone back me up here?

^ true, at some schools if you aren't selected for the MD/PhD interview then you'll be considered for the regular MD program. Problem is that given the time of year, their aren't many interview slots left. That said, you might get a shot but then again, some schools might figure that you'll choose an MD/PhD program if admitted to both. May I suggest contacting the schools that have not yet interviewed you and asking that your application be moved to the MD only queue. Say that you've had a change in your career focus. It can't hurt.

i called harvard -> they distribute copies of your apps to both the md (HST or NewPath) and md/phd at the same time, and are reviewed independently...

columbia md/phd will review first, then pass to md if denied...