No more VA.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yaah

Boring
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think I am the first resident at my program to enjoy their experience at the VA. Everyone else complains about it, they feel useless, tedious work, etc. What is it about me that I enjoy tedious work? Is that bizarre? I always find it educational. Then again, I have never been a thrill-a-minute, fly by the seat of my pants, "I'm not wearing underwear today," double-barrel shotgun discharging kind of guy.

There was enough time to see lots of basic cases, follow them from arrival in the lab to sign out and finalizing the case, and even learn something about them. Plus, I had the time to be able to do this. My only complaint is that I had to run back and forth between the U campus and the VA campus which, while not Ann Arbor to Detroit, isn't exactly across the street either.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Now I am back to the autopsy service.

I tell you what - all you people starting residency next year, it's fun. So much better than med school. Every day you are learning new things, and doing stuff that feels so much more relevant and important. Yes, there is a lot of busy work and grunt-type stuff, but that's true everywhere. You have all made the right choice, trust me. At times it's tough, long hours, feeling clueless, but it works out. I don't regret it at all.

Members don't see this ad.

deschutes said:
Why yaah, you sound almost doleful.

No more Ob/Gyn for the week. Wahew!

Yup, after one day back on the autopsy service - I was there today from 6:45 until 9:15. Although I did waste some time today, I also had two one hour lectures and two autopsies plus the daily placentas. Autopsies are getting quicker, both were done in about 2.5 hours today. But the second one I decided I was going to take a lot of pictures afterwards and that took awhile. Then I had to dictate. It's a pain in the butt when you have two cases with the same diagnosis though, because you start to confuse them when you are dictating.

No more OB for the week? Why not? Normally all these clinical electives one day off is considered an extended leave.

Members don't see this ad :)
yaah said:
Yup, after one day back on the autopsy service - I was there today from 6:45 until 9:15. Although I did waste some time today, I also had two one hour lectures and two autopsies plus the daily placentas. Autopsies are getting quicker, both were done in about 2.5 hours today. But the second one I decided I was going to take a lot of pictures afterwards and that took awhile. Then I had to dictate. It's a pain in the butt when you have two cases with the same diagnosis though, because you start to confuse them when you are dictating.

But it makes the second dictation go much faster. Cut & paste name and accession number and rehash.

yaah said:
It's a pain in the butt when you have two cases with the same diagnosis though, because you start to confuse them when you are dictating.
The same reason I pick the central line over the discharge summary!

yaah said:
No more OB for the week? Why not? Normally all these clinical electives one day off is considered an extended leave.
It's not even a clinical elective. It's a darned mandatory rotation! But I just spent the whole of yesterday flying across two time zones, and I thought I deserved the rest of the week off. I'm glad the clerkship director agreed. No make-up time either!