No News is Bad News?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hopingtobePT

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've always heard "no news is good news"... however, in hearing back from schools, i'm starting to disagree.

One school said I was under review on a specific date (roughly 2 weeks ago) and yet, i've heard nothing.

Anyone else in this position?
 
I've always heard "no news is good news"... however, in hearing back from schools, i'm starting to disagree.

One school said I was under review on a specific date (roughly 2 weeks ago) and yet, i've heard nothing.

Anyone else in this position?
In the same situation for one school, yes. I was reviewed on a specific date about 3 weeks ago and I haven't heard a thing... At this point, I'm assuming that they didn't feel that I was a good match for their program, since they are currently interviewing candidates. If I hear otherwise, it will be a pleasant surprise. But I wish I was told something.
 
I feel the same way. I am hearing of people who have been accepted from schools that I've applied to and I haven't heard anything back yet. It is really frustrating. I'm tired of checking my mail constantly. I'm accepting the fact that I'm not accept since there's been no word. Good luck to everyone!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
really consider what you are asking before you jump to conclusions...while it may be a natural human reaction to assume the worst, I would not bet the farm on it.

Especially with the PTCAS system, programs are exposed to mind bogglingly larger numbers of students then ever before. Many adcoms are learning as they go these days, and frankly, considering everything, are not necessarily as prepared as they should be to handle the larger number of applicants.

With that considered, unless you applied early decision or had one of those "can't let this one get away" applications, why would you expect to hear back before many programs' submission deadline....

Stop checking your mailboxes 2ice a day and driving yourselves crazy. Enjoy the holiday season, and the rest of the year...once you get in, you will wish you had enjoyed what "free time" you have left.

-MotionD
 
This isn't necessarily true. All schools break admission decisions up differently...some schools have one person that verifies prerequisites, and then the applications get split up alphabetically and reviewed by different profs, and then to another committee, etc. This is a long process for each individual application (except the ones that are a clear no, which I'm sure get thrown out right away and probably notified).

The closer you submitted your application to the deadline, the longer it'll take. When I spoke to NU admissions last year about applying this year, they told me to get it in early because some of those who sent in the application on the deadline didn't even get looked at - PTCAS took a long time to verify prereqs and all that info so by the time the apps got to NU they had already made most of their offers.

As they get more applications, it takes longer for them to get to them all. My friend and I both got into NU - my app was mailed 2 weeks before his, but he found out he got in a month after I did. Those two weeks played a huge role in the delay for him to get an offer phone call.

Don't freak out yet - some schools deadlines haven't even passed yet, and some of them may not look at applications at all until that date. I know someone who is married to someone on the admissions board at UIC, and even though their deadline was Oct. 15, he said they don't even look at an application until mid-December (they make sure they get all of the apps before they start looking at any of them). I think they still look at them in a chronological order, though....not sure.

If you were an absolute "No", they probably would have told you by now - no use in stringing people along that they know they won't let in...it could be that they either haven't looked at your application yet because they're so piled up, or maybe you're in a "to be interviewed" pile and they have to figure out how many interview dates they need before they start offering interviews, or maybe you're in an on-the-fence pile and they have to review it again. It could be any one of these, so no need to freak out yet.

I know someone who didn't find out he got into PT school until end of April/beginning of May, just because of the number of applications they received. Don't start freaking out yet! There's still plenty of time 🙂
 
Thanks folks... I'll try to keep my chin up and not worry. You too, hopingtobePT and DPThopeful! 🙂 Let's vow not to check our email and voicemail several times a day and freak ourselves out! 🙂
 
I've always heard "no news is good news"... however, in hearing back from schools, i'm starting to disagree.

One school said I was under review on a specific date (roughly 2 weeks ago) and yet, i've heard nothing.

Anyone else in this position?

They may have reviewed it, but that may only mean that they are narrowing their applicant pool. Also, be aware that when a school says they will have decisions made by a certain day, it is very possible that their estimates are off by weeks... or months. Schools are sending acceptances well into the spring, and I had friends get no response from a school until being accepted sometime in the summer. It is out of your hands now, so try not to sweat it.
 
thanks everyone for the encouragement! i actually just got offered an interview at Midwestern and I am so excited! 🙂