• Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!

Ihave Nonamè

2+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2017
I haven't had a non-science course in over 3 years with the exception of one writing class run by a TA.

Is it horrible to apply without a non-science professor? Or do I need to take a non-science course before I graduate in spring? I actually perform better in science courses and fear adding on a liberal arts course will result in a B and a lot of needless work (heavy reading/essays/presentations).

I want to mention that I have an Anthropology professor willing to write a LoR but the course they taught was heavily neuroscience...I'm assuming this wouldn't count?

What do you think?

Dec 29, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure most schools require a non-science LOR. It doesn't have to be completely non-science related from what I understand like you can take a psychology or sociology class if you're that afraid of getting a B in some english or history class.

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
I haven't had a non-science course in over 3 years with the exception of one writing class run by a TA.

Is it horrible to apply without a non-science professor? Or do I need to take a non-science course before I graduate in spring? I actually perform better in science courses and fear adding on a liberal arts course will result in a B and a lot of needless work (heavy reading/essays/presentations).

I want to mention that I have an Anthropology professor willing to write a LoR but the course they taught was heavily neuroscience...I'm assuming this wouldn't count?

What do you think?
You would get rejected at those schools that require a LOR from a non-science faculty member. It's not negotiable for them

Solution? Take a non-science course before you apply and get to know the professor really well.

Reactions: 1 user
Feb 5, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
I had a LoR from my music band director. Take something a notoriously easy liberal arts class, usually photography or film studies in my school.

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.