No one has your August scores!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

walrus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is just to quell any rumors or misconceptions that anyone (the Navy, med schools) has your August MCAT scores right now. At this point, I'm probably not even sure that they've scored half of the scantron sheets. Put it this way, it takes 3-4 days for them to get your score sheets to wherever they need to go. Then, it takes many days for them to unload these sheets and start putting them into the scanners. They've got thousands of these sheets to scan and as you know, they are not the most efficient people in the world.

Do you really think that they've had time to score everyone's test, perform all the statistical manipulations they need to do in order to give you a number score, and had time to forward your scores to the Navy and all the med schools?

Here's another thing to put your mind at ease. Of several friends of mine you took and rocked the april MCAT (>35), AND elected to release their info to whoever wanted it, not one of them received anything from the Navy.

The point is: Don't read anything into anyone receving anything from anyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I've always assumed that a mass breed of Navy-designed super-monkeys instantly grade the MCATs upon our completion, but wait 2 months in exchange of tasty green bananas. Well gosh, thanks for clearing up the confusion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by limit
I always assume that a mass breed of Navy-designed super-monkeys instantly grade the MCATs upon our completion, but wait 2 months in exchange of tasty green bananas.

I thought the monkeys grade the essay portion then turn it over to the humans. I thought the humans feed the scantrons into the machines, causing the significant delay we've known to expect?!?:p :)

Aw, shucks!! I was actually getting excited that I got that letter! Haha...

Originally posted by walrus
This is just to quell any rumors or misconceptions that anyone (the Navy, med schools) has your August MCAT scores right now. At this point, I'm probably not even sure that they've scored half of the scantron sheets. Put it this way, it takes 3-4 days for them to get your score sheets to wherever they need to go. Then, it takes many days for them to unload these sheets and start putting them into the scanners. They've got thousands of these sheets to scan and as you know, they are not the most efficient people in the world.

Do you really think that they've had time to score everyone's test, perform all the statistical manipulations they need to do in order to give you a number score, and had time to forward your scores to the Navy and all the med schools?

Here's another thing to put your mind at ease. Of several friends of mine you took and rocked the april MCAT (>35), AND elected to release their info to whoever wanted it, not one of them received anything from the Navy.

The point is: Don't read anything into anyone receving anything from anyone!

All the scores go to one center in Iowa. Since it is computer generated, I don't see how it would take so long to scan the sheets, and use the computers to automatically give the Navy or whatever the information they want. The only part that would take long to score would be the writing section which isn't all that important.

As for the Aprili MCAT and not recieving anything. Perhaps they didn't check to release form? Because my friends who scored above 35 are getting navy/army , pod e-mails, and of course, the almight Pittsburg packet (no they are not URM and did not apply to Pitt) though they did check to send scores out). Yes, they were april mcaters, in fact they just started getting this info 2 days ago. There was another thread about UMich stating that they had recieved august mcat scores already but cannot process it b/c they didnt have the writing sample or something.

This would make sense that they are JUST recieving info now because if i was a recruiter, I would want to make sure i had enough people entering the prior year before attempting to recruit ppl for the upcoming year so it would be logical to send mail around this time instead of immediantly after the april mcats where i'd be busy filling the class with students for the prior year.

I don't know. I do recall sdners (do a search) who took the august mcat in 2001 and scored high also receiving navy phone calls ..all of whom recieved above or at least a 30 (morninglight, choker, mpp?).... And it seemed as though the students in certain areas recieved info first...perhaps their sheets got scanned first...if that is the case, the problem of score manipulation isn't such a big deal if they did it in batches and sent it in batches. They might be doing it by test form or location of test center.

For those who didn't get any info yet, perhaps your answer sheets are still in line for scanning.

shrug...either way it is a POSSIBILITY so I wouldnt' rule it out nor would I make assumptions...assumptions do tend to bring disappointments but ruling things out as a rumor takes the fun out of speculation and hope, even if it might be fake hope

:eek:

I know of someone who had to retake the mcats because the scantron sheets got lost on the way to be scanned....

It may have been an SDNer come to think of it :confused:

Not to worry you guys or anything :D

Originally posted by Doctora Foxy
I know of someone who had to retake the mcats because the scantron sheets got lost on the way to be scanned....

It may have been an SDNer come to think of it :confused:

Not to worry you guys or anything :D

LOL!!! Thanks for the heart attack foxy! more to worry about :clap: :p

Originally posted by limit
I've always assumed that a mass breed of Navy-designed super-monkeys instantly grade the MCATs upon our completion

Sorry, but I have to call you on this one. As is stated in the AAMC's TOS, available on their website, the organization has not been allowed to use the super monkeys since the August 2001 MCAT. Because of the APA's ethical guidelines on the use of animals, they had to release all the primates into South American rain forests. Therefore, the scores won't be available until on or about or beneath October 7th. You'd better check your facts before you stick your neck out.

Originally posted by CaNEM

Sorry, but I have to call you on this one. As is stated in the AAMC's TOS, available on their website, the organization has not been allowed to use the super monkeys since the August 2001 MCAT. Because of the APA's ethical guidelines on the use of animals, they had to release all the primates into South American rain forests. Therefore, the scores won't be available until on or about or beneath October 7th. You'd better check your facts before you stick your neck out.

I'm surprised anyone is so out of date as this - ever since Kathy Lee Gifford's company took over the scoring all scantrons have been exported to southast asia where slave monkeys are kept in pitiful conditions and made to do the work for half the cost of the US unionized monkeys...

Originally posted by the boy wonder

I'm surprised anyone is so out of date as this - ever since Kathy Lee Gifford's company took over the scoring all scantrons have been exported to southast asia where slave monkeys are kept in pitiful conditions and made to do the work for half the cost of the US unionized monkeys...

welp, I guess I learned something new today..

Hhhhmmmm... I took the MCAT in April and in the past couple weeks, I have received three recruitment mailings from the Navy. My MCAT was not 35+ yet the letters say congrats for the high MCAT score and joing the Navy...

Just wondering if anyone else has gotten this... It's almost worth talking to a recruiter about since they pay for your entire med school and give you over a grand a month to pay for other costs -- but then you owe them years of your life afterward... I dunno. :confused:

The people that are recieving these mailing have all taken the MCATs in April (and maybe also in August) from what I see... Maybe they are only mailing now to those who took exams in April.

the book "getting into medical school" has a pretty decent list of pros/cons for pursuing an armed forces medical scholarship.

as i remember, overall, the author seemed to have a negative attitude about going this route...saying that certain branches of the armed forces try to influence specialty decisions...and sometimes make finishing residency particularly difficult...

it's been a while since i've read this book, though...so check it out if you have a chance.

Originally posted by Kovox

There was another thread about UMich stating that they had recieved august mcat scores already but cannot process it b/c they didnt have the writing sample or something.

:eek:

What they said was that they have MOST of the August scores, and that they would not be reviewing Augest MCATer files until November. They offered no reason for this, and the delay made no sense to me from their perspective.

So I offered some speculation as to a reason that would make both pieces of info true and rational, which is that they have preliminary scores but can't act on them until they're official.

However, the info on score release for minority applicants comes straight from the MSAR and is not speculation.