No Research = No Med School??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Matrix

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I've been reading some of the personal statements of the students who got accepted to medical school and one thing that all of them had in common was that they all had research experience.
Now, i was just wondering, if you have no research experience, does this mean that you would be in a disadvantage??

Members don't see this ad.

You would only be at a disadvantage at the top medical schools.

Most applicants to those programs have outstanding volunteer experience AND research experience.

Of course, research for MD/PhD programs is a must. Not only that, but you probably need at least 3 years to be competitive.

------------------
"There is nothing more powerful on this Earth as a man who has nothing to lose. It does not take ten such men to change the world--one will do." Elijah Mohammed

Well in Top academic med school you should have investigation work as part of your activities, but dont forget that voluntary work at an hospital is much as valuable.
When you show that you have voluntarily worked in a hospital for months that means that you really like the enviroment of medicine, that you really feel it. so you have to balance things

Members don't see this ad :)
Your best bet for getting into medical school is to have a passion for something, be committed to it, and stand out from the rest of the "pack." Medical schools want to be well-rounded...this means they want their students to each have their unique advantages. Don't fall into the trap of thinking everyone has to be carbon copies of one another to secure their positions...We aren't.

I think tierra hit the nail on the head. It is complete nonsense that everyone needs to have research experience. Research is good, it will teach you a lot, and it does add to your list of activities. However, I seriously doubt that anyone on the admissions committee is going to be all that impressed by your research experience.

I know I've said this dozens of times, but I will say it again. Anything you do to get into medical school should be something that you genuinely WANT to be involved with.

Square filling in the medical school admissions process confers no advantage. All it does is make you blend in with the 20,000+ other square fillers that apply each year.

If you want to get in...stand out! Do YOUR thing!!! Whatever that may be. Show the admissions committe that you are an individual.

Remember if you blend in with the masses, you are one of the masses (last I checked most of the masses didn't get into medical school).

Good luck.

Sheon

P.S. The reason everyone's personal statements include research is because very few people vary from the "formula" for writing a personal statement.

[This message has been edited by Sheon (edited 08-30-2000).]

For what it's worth, I was told by an interviewer to send a copy of my C.V. listing research publications to be included in my application. She told me that it would definitely make a difference.

Geo

I got into a "Top" school with no research.