No Research: Not Interested

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ResearchHelp0220

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
:idea:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm submitting my apps soon, and I can't help but notice that 90%+ of applicants on MSAR, it seems, have research experience when applying to school.

Don't worry. The MSAR numbers tend to be misleading for a lot of schools and are generally only reliable for top tiers (because it fits their mission).

Provided you have a good GPA, good MCAT and good clinical/volunteering exposure, you will be a great applicant for MD schools that focus on service to the community, which are plenty to choose from.

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't have to do research or love it to be a good doctor. Just don't apply to research heavy schools and you'll be fine.

You're being way too hard on yourself, OP. Research isn't going to make or break you if you have (in addition to competitive grades/scores) strong extracurriculars, letters of recommendation, shadowing, etc. and a compelling personal statement. It's true that certain schools prefer research, though, so keep in mind that you will be going up against applicants with this experience if you are applying to said schools.

Sounds like all talk without the rest of your app. If you still have an excellent profile it might not matter.

I didn't like volunteering with those special needs kids at the basketball camp but I sucked it up and dunked all over them. Then I updated my CV.

Reactions: 8 users
I didn't like volunteering with those special needs kids at the basketball camp but I sucked it up and dunked all over them. Then I updated my CV.
Yikes

Reactions: 2 users
And why cant you be involved in something along those lines while as UG via public health, social health care or public policy, social welfare, or even economics research or studies going at your school? Or at any larger hospital, public health clinic, or many other clinic sites? Delivery of healthcare to underserved populations, homeless, etc, may be seen at any of the social services that work with these populations

Actually you indicated that you do want to do it once in medical school; try finding or creating it now so you can get into medical school.
My favorite "non-researchers" did amazing public policy research in medical school.

Reactions: 1 users
I think a broadened understanding of what constitutes "research" is in order. Much of research extends beyond (or never even enters) a lab.

Reactions: 1 users
Well OP got 96th percentile on the MCAT so as long as they have the other standard activities I think they are good to go.

OP I would post in the what are my chances forum with a full description of your profile to get an accurate guage of your chances.

There are questions that can be answered through chart reviews. For example, is there a way to predict which parents will fall behind in having their children vaccinated? If a practitioner knew that families with characteristics A, B and C were at highest risk of falling behind, then they might direct resources toward those families. There are dozens of research studies of that type that matter to clinical providers.

Reactions: 1 user
From an application standpoint, he is probably fine without research

From a "professionalism" or "physicianship" standpoint , I think the misplaced motivation of avoiding research and the misunderstanding, even the lack of creativity in finding something that would fulfill the applicant's ultimate goal of studying delivery of care in a primary setting, is a bit shorted sighted.
Good point!

I think you'll be okay. Focus on other aspects of your app when you write your PS/secondaries and when you interview. Research does not have to be a component of a successful application (even to top "research powerhouse" schools in certain cases).