Faefly

2+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2016
Status
Dental Student
Hi everyone. For a long time I thought research was very important for pre-med students, but I thought pre-dental students were not really required to do a research, but I see that many applicants have already done a research and I am kind of scared right now, I did try to get a research by asking my professors but most of them didn't do a research so I just let it go. Now I am in my senior year and to be honest even if I get a research opportunity, I won't be able to commit to it because the courses are getting way harder and require a lot of time.

Guess if you are tired of reading this long introduction ; here is the gist of it is :
I didn't do a research and I wonder if that is going to affect me badly when I apply to dental school next year. (assuming I have a good gpa and dat score(finger-crossed) and somewhat decent volunteering experience) ?

Last edited:

ncide

2+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2015
Status
Dental Student
Some schools highly value it, others regard it as a positive mark on your application but will not hold it against you if you happened to not participate in research. At my school many were part of research.

sarriball

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
2+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2014
Status
Dental Student
It's okay if you didn't do a research. A research only shows that you are interested in other things. That's all a research is. With that said, I'm glad I participated in a research though. I learned a lot of valuable things from a research.

Reactions: shwayne

shwayne

Science.
2+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental
Schools that offer combined DDS/PhD programs will value research more than those that do not. Do your a research to determine if a research is valued by a particular school.

Reactions: Rekker