This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whosnisarg

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, all!

Humanities and Philosophy major here applying to a school in May 2021 that is waiving the MCAT. Given I was planning to take the MCAT in 2022 anyway, I may as well take my chances applying to this 1 school (but this isn’t my issue).

They require 1 committee letter or 2 science professors you have taken. Long story short, the committee declined my request for a letter because they require an MCAT score (even though I explained I am not taking the MCAT as I don’t need to in order to apply). No matter I guess.

I asked my former science professors (who’ve ive taken for pre-reqs only). 2 have ghosted me, 1 said not without an MCAT score (or committee approval), 1 flat out said no because she doesn’t have anything nice to say (...), and the other retired and I cannot contact him.

I’m scared that if I appeal the committees refusal to write a letter to the Dean (if that would even work), they’d write a negative letter on me “not respecting authority” or something... and it’s not like I’d even know they wrote that.

I asked the school if I can supplement science LORs from other professors I’ve taken and they are firm in requiring 1 committee letter or 2 science professors...

Of note, I have 2 physician letters (1 MD and DO) and 2 non-science (major program director and humanities professor).

Any advice at all is super appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Pardon me OP, but why go through all this effort, just to apply to one school? The med school app process is so brutally competitive.
I bet this one school, also prefers applicants with an MCAT. If not, hopefully you have a 4.0 GPA or something to balance out the lack of a score?

Perhaps also try asking professors who you took science classes with, that weren't pre-reqs?

Reactions: 1 user
Pardon me OP, but why go through all this effort, just to apply to one school? The med school app process is so brutally competitive.
I bet this one school, also prefers applicants with an MCAT. If not, hopefully you have a 4.0 GPA or something to balance out the lack of a score?

Perhaps also try asking professors who you took science classes with, that weren't pre-reqs?
Thank you for your reply!!! I know it sounds silly going through this effort, but I’d be happy ending up at this school (the fact they don’t require MCAT just puts the cherry on top). It’s a weird program where I may use my SAT score in lieu of the MCAT (adcom said quantitatively I am in a competitive range applying with my SAT).

Unfortunately, I won’t be finishing my other science classes (even pre-reqs like physics and biochem) until next year. I am taking ochem 2 next semester but don’t want to rely on a professor I haven’t taken yet to write something up by the time the semester ends.

Members don't see this ad :)
Either take the MCAT and apply in 2021, or wait until 2022. Looks like you need that committee letter and MCAT score to have any hope!

Reactions: 1 users
The odds of being a reapplicant when applying to only one school are high enough that I would just take the MCAT

Reactions: 1 users
Just curious, but is this school LECOM?

Probably my top DO choice for next cycle haha!

• Haha