No Title

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thegirlfromfenweh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Went to a small, relatively new Med school. Graduating from a large, academic medicine program with an associated rheum fellowship. Have worked with the rheum department on electives and research projects - known very well to those clinicians. Nothing published but 1 poster presentation, a few case reports submitted. Working on writing a review of rheumatic disease and associated skin findings.

otherwise step scores 240s/250s (if that matters);

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Get that review written. Documenting commitment to the field through research goes a long way at the programs that you are aiming at. You have a good shot, but it frankly depends a lot of where you are at the moment and how you sell yourself.

Hey guys, trying to plan ahead for my family and my career goals. Was wondering if anyone with the experience could comment on my chances at matching at a program with Vasculitis or myositis clinics (typically "top tier" programs from what I've researched).

Went to a small, relatively new Med school. Graduating from a large, academic medicine program with an associated rheum fellowship. Have worked with the rheum department on electives and research projects - known very well to those clinicians. Nothing published but 1 poster presentation, a few case reports submitted. Working on writing a review of rheumatic disease and associated skin findings.

otherwise step scores 240s/250s (if that matters); AOA; Not sure what else is important.

the thing I'm worried most about is my lack of published research given my goals are most likely to be accomplished at programs that are research heavy.

i guess it comes down to ur career aspirations, but i guess i’d say be careful what u wish for.

for the sake of anonymity i wont say which programs, but my experience last year with the “ivory tower” programs was high-level publication expectations.

they will expect u to publish and pretty much hinted they’d “strongly suggest” u stay a 3rd year if u dont finish ur projects in time...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think your chances are good. There are clinical-based fellowships with those specialty clinics that you mentioned too. Some of these programs (especially mine - east coast) do favor in-house applicants. So I would advise applying broadly and having your choice of interviews.

My stats were similar to yours 3 years ago and I got interviews pretty much everywhere I applied, including at those top level places with vasculitis/myositis fellowships. Not too tough to get interviews with a reasonable pedigree and some demonstrated interest in rheum. I think you'd be fine now to get some fancy interviews, but if you get that review and case reports done you'll be in great shape.

Hey guys, trying to plan ahead for my family and my career goals. Was wondering if anyone with the experience could comment on my chances at matching at a program with Vasculitis or myositis clinics (typically "top tier" programs from what I've researched).

otherwise step scores 240s/250s (if that matters); AOA; Not sure what else is important.

the thing I'm worried most about is my lack of published research given my goals are most likely to be accomplished at programs that are research heavy.

As as current rheum fellow who went through the application cycle 2 years ago, I totally agree with the #5 that your stat is pretty competitive in rheum field (remember, rheum is not cardiology or GI regarding the applicant pool)

You need to get a list regarding what programs have a vasculitis or myositis clinic, or at least for the physical places you want to go. Some places don't have a vasculitis or myositis clinic not because they don't have good volume, but simply about how they logistically set up their clinics, and the vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.