No TSH on weekeends?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GeneralVeers

Socially Distanced
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So yesterday (4th of July) I tried to order a TSH, Free T4 on my patient who was complaining of pain/tingling in all her extremities and with a blood pressure of 160/90. After 3 hours of waiting I call up the lab to ask them where the hell my test is, and they tell me they "don't do thyroid tests on weekends or holidays". Incidentally they wouldn't do the serum B12 level I wanted either.

Is this normal for a county hospital? Every other hospital I've worked at has no problems with doing most common tests on weekends. To me this is unacceptable as I could not do the appropriate workup on my patient and had to tell her to go home.

Members don't see this ad.

Actually, most places I've worked out don't do TSH levels on the weekends. Here at Hopkins we have to have a TSH tech called in for emergent cases (which, incidentally, are not commonly emergent even from the ER). In the scheme of things, how important is a TSH in the ED setting anyway?

Wow, our TSH is run on the same machine as the Troponins (don't ask me how or why) and it comes back faster than a chem7 sometimes.

Members don't see this ad :)
we have a 24 hour + turn around. Its a useless test in our institution in terms of ED management.

Same for B12.

roja said:
we have a 24 hour + turn around. Its a useless test in our institution in terms of ED management.

Same for B12.

TSH 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Comes back in less than an hour.

Many but not all the places I've worked had TSH as a send out. I've never ordered a B12 level from within the ED. Thats definitely an IM lab. Seriously why would you need either one on an emergent basis. If you are thinking thyroid storm or myxedema coma you need to begin initiating therapy before the lab is likely to be back anyway. For any other condition waiting a few days for the TSH (or B12 level) for that matter is fine since they aren't emergent conditions. As a friend of mine in primary care said, most weak and dizzy's will get better with prozac most numb and tingly's with elavil.

I just dont beleive tsh is not needed in the emergency setting, can't just start someone on methimazole/ptu for the heck of it. even the rural hospital i worked at had TSH available on weekends...

I'd rather have T4 available than TSH for a thyroid storm treatment decision. I don't have any of it so that's basically an academic statement. As for B12 the one time I heard it helping in the ED was on a guy who was apparently B12 toxic because he's one of our (and every hospital in town) chronic drunks and he gets at least one bananna bag a day. I don't know what they did for it but his B12 was pretty high.

Looking at this thread it occurs to me that many residents don't know the extent to which you are often on your own in the private world. Outside of the tertiary care center with every specialty you wind up having to transfer much more stuff. In my hospitals for example:
No Urology, ENT, MaxFace, plastics, Optho, hand call. No PICUs either.
Some of the hospitals have no Neurosurg, Vascular surg, GI.
One place has no OB/GYN or Ortho.
If (when) you get on of these pts you have to decide if you should deal with it and sent it home or fight the receiving hospital to get them to accept a transfer which usually carves about an hour out of your day. Remember that one of the purposes of off service rotations is to learn how to deal with this stuff yourself.

rohitpatel said:
I just dont beleive tsh is not needed in the emergency setting, can't just start someone on methimazole/ptu for the heck of it. even the rural hospital i worked at had TSH available on weekends...

I routinely start someone on inderal for outpt endocrine or PMD follow up pending TSH results if they are hypersympathetic and I suspect hyperthyroid. If TFT's normal, it should provide symptomatic relief anyway, provided other causes of symptoms are excluded. I don't think there is a big need to start methimazole emergently in the ED- it is an outpatient treatment, and these folks routinely get first seen in a clinic and then followed up and started on a treatment in a week or so anyway- they don't have stat TSH in the primary clinic either.

The few times I have wanted a stat TSH was for a possible myxedema coma where I wanted to start IV synthroid. These were sick hypothermic, bradycardic, etc. patients. If there was a history of hypothyroidism I gave the synthroid empirically. Similar to stress steroids it probably won't hurt a patient with that constellation of physiologic symptoms even if their TSH is normal. So it is a rare case indeed where the TSH would do anything other than confirm or disprove my suspicions. However, in none of the cases was my therapy or patient care significantly changed by the result.

The B12 thing is a nonissue in my opinion. I cannot see a reason to ever need one stat in the ED- No specific antidote for toxicity. Empiric therapy is benign if low levels are suspected. No emergency indication for a stat level.

When considering the necessity of such stat tests, you must be able to argue that it will alter your patient management. While having every result imaginable available stat might make your diagnostic process easier, a large part of the art of emergency medicine is how to creatively solve these issues with a limited database. Experience makes this stuff become much easier because you learn new ways to approach the same problem. On the other hand, perhaps you could prove an improved outcome in some endpoint by performing a study looking at the availability of either of these tests stat- while it would very difficult to envision that mortality is affected, perhaps you could see a benefit in some measure of morbidity such as the cost of follow up visits, since you are making the diagnosis earlier, or improved patient satisfaction indices, which is extremely important in emergency medicine- however, there is much more exciting research to be done in the ED.

By the way, I do have a stat TSH available at one of the institutions I work in- only time I use it is when an otherwise healthy patient comes in and really wants a stat TSH done since it takes so long to get it done in the clinic...

Good luck

P Benson
Faculty
USC+LAC