No updates after being waitlisted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abbababa

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do people get accepted off waitlists without sending updates?

I've unfortunately been waitlisted at two schools so I'm thinking about worst case scenario. I'm currently taking a gap year and am working full-time at an office job that I wouldn't really feel comfortable leaving until April (financial and other reasons).

I've been trying to come up with other things I can do to help raise my chances, but I'm afraid I won't have anything substantial to update schools with come May. Most of my extracurricular involvements ended after I graduated and moved home to begin working

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, people do get off waitlists without sending updates. But as the conventional wisdom goes, expressing your interest in the school may help, depending on the school.

It's also OK to update schools in May, since most of waitlist movements happen after May anyway (after May 15th to be exact). In fact, some people recommend sending update letters around that time.

Finally, even if you don't have any updates but want to increases your chances of getting off waitlist (or at least feel like you've done everything you could), send a letter of interest specifying why the school in question and you are a match made in heaven.

Important: before sending any updates or letters of interest, make sure the school accepts them 'cause some schools don't and you don't want to piss off adcoms with your letters if they don't want to see any.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes, people do get off waitlists without sending updates. But as the conventional wisdom goes, expressing your interest in the school may help, depending on the school.

It's also OK to update schools in May, since most of waitlist movements happen after May anyway (after May 15th to be exact). In fact, some people recommend sending update letters around that time.

Finally, even if you don't have any updates but want to increases your chances of getting off waitlist (or at least feel like you've done everything you could), send a letter of interest specifying why the school in question and you are a match made in heaven.

Important: before sending any updates or letters of interest, make sure the school accepts them 'cause some schools don't and you don't want to piss off adcoms with your letters if they don't want to see any.

Yea, the wait list I'm on specifically says not to send anything until they request it around May 15.

Members don't see this ad :)

That was really helpful! Thanks a lot

Yea, the wait list I'm on specifically says not to send anything until they request it around May 15.

I guess my concern was more about lacking something substantial to update schools with, even after May 15 but hopefully I find something

I guess my concern was more about lacking something substantial to update schools with, even after May 15 but hopefully I find something

That's definitely tough. I don't know how much shadowing you have, but getting some experience in a field/specialty you don't already have on your app is always an option.