No vaccine/herd immunity, will we really go back to school in the fall?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snowcrawler85

DO Class of 2023
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd really like some opinions...

Members don't see this ad.

My now alma mater flat out said they will not be going to online.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
As of right now, it looks like it. At my school we may delay the lab classes for bit, or figure out social distancing assessments, even if we have to stagger labs classes into the evening. I

t will be "all hands on deck" moment for the clinical and us lab Faculty, that's for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m a little bit concerned people think that we are going to go back to big lecture halls and groups of student next year.

I honestly see small groups, staggered start times and no more in-person lectures being the future till we have a good treatment plan, vaccine, or herd immunity.

Reactions: 4 users
I’m a little bit concerned people think that we are going to go back to big lecture halls and groups of student next year.

I honestly see small groups, staggered start times and no more in-person lectures being the future till we have a good treatment plan, vaccine, or herd immunity.

Yeah, I think there are an awful lot of people in denial.

Reactions: 7 users
Nothing thoughtful to contribute. Just wanted to say I read the title as "no vaccine community" at first and really wondered for a moment if some of my classmates are anti-vaxxers.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Nothing thoughtful to contribute. Just wanted to say I read the title as "no vaccine community" at first and really wondered for a moment if some of my classmates are anti-vaxxers.
Would be interesting to see the prevalence of this type of BS in MD versus DO schools, honestly. My bet is no difference but sometimes I wonder.

I would not be opposed to the cadaver labs/OMM and other skills courses so long as adequate measures are being taken by the school. Lectures would probably best remain online for the time being. One such measure I would be in favour of would be that everyone is wearing masks of some sort in these group settings, while attempting to maintain social distancing where possible.

...go back to class. Use common sense, stay home if you're feeling sick, order some cool spider-man masks, be smart with your hygiene and move on. I'd imagine schools bringing people back to lectures are aware of the potential issue this creates and will adjust accordingly. Going through the next year or so being afraid to be remotely near someone isn't the way to go and tbh I'm not overly sure it wont be a huge negative for your mental health.

Reactions: 6 users
Would be interesting to see the prevalence of this type of BS in MD versus DO schools, honestly. My bet is no difference but sometimes I wonder.

99% of the people in DO school are just like you. No one's impressed they're there learning cranial. They just want to be a doctor.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would not be opposed to the cadaver labs/OMM and other skills courses so long as adequate measures are being taken by the school. Lectures would probably best remain online for the time being. One such measure I would be in favour of would be that everyone is wearing masks of some sort in these group settings, while attempting to maintain social distancing where possible.

I think you need to learn what OMM is and how it happens...

Reactions: 2 users
The thought of having everything online for the whole year sounds awful but at the same time, I doubt large lectures will be a thing. I just hope that the clinical skills will be staggered and able to be conducted.

It all really depends what the outlook is looking like through the summer.

Last edited:
...go back to class. Use common sense, stay home if you're feeling sick, order some cool spider-man masks, be smart with your hygiene and move on. I'd imagine schools bringing people back to lectures are aware of the potential issue this creates and will adjust accordingly. Going through the next year or so being afraid to be remotely near someone isn't the way to go and tbh I'm not overly sure it wont be a huge negative for your mental health.

My expert opinion, as a psychiatrist, is getting COVID is worse for your mental health, as is getting it and giving it others who maybe don't survive.

Reactions: 3 users
My expert opinion, as a psychiatrist, is getting COVID is worse for your mental health, as is getting it and giving it others who maybe don't survive.

You're really not going to admit the effect that indefinite social distancing will have on people? Med school the first two years was tough enough without making it all distance learning. Wouldn't want to be one of the lucky students who get the joy of never meeting their first year classmates.

• Haha
You're really not going to admit the effect that indefinite social distancing will have on people? Med school the first two years was tough enough without making it all distance learning. Wouldn't want to be one of the lucky students who get the joy of never meeting their first year classmates.

When did I say it doesn't have an effect on people? I said getting COVID or giving it others has a bigger effect on people. How do I know? I have a handful of patients with COVID. I have one patient who gave it to her elderly mother. I'm speaking from experience.

I also think social distancing has been exaggerated by people who don't quite understand it and/or equate it with social isolation whether because they're uninformed or because they don't understand it.

To the point that you miss out on an entire year of interaction with your classmates, yes that will have a huge impact on students mental health, particularly first years. I made some of my best, lifelong friends from sitting in lectures, going to anatomy lab/omm lab etc. I do equate losing that with social isolation because you’re already very socially isolated as a med student even without all this happening.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

To the point that you miss out on an entire year of interaction with your classmates, yes that will have a huge impact on students mental health, particularly first years. I made some of my best, lifelong friends from sitting in lectures, going to anatomy lab/omm lab etc. I do equate losing that with social isolation because you’re already very socially isolated as a med student even without all this happening.

You understand most med students don't go to class, right? No one is saying you can't get together with people. But resuming lectures and OMM lab is a way to make sure it spreads like crazy.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users

This right here... I completely agree. Business as usual means more people start dying, I can’t imagine losing my classmates, my family, my professors, or my own life to learn something I could probably manage learning online.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
So if we have mandatory in person rotations next year, do I like inject myself with COVID19 now so I don’t get knocked out sick during the school year? I don’t understand what our admin is doing.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN
Oh man that is so scary.
If I were to start med school this year it would be in NY oh God I'm really dreading that. Im scurreeeddd.

most schools are afraid that by having classes online that everyone will realize in-person lectures are mostly obsolete, given that medical students generlaly know how to read and how to search youtube. A lot the "professors" who have no business "teaching" anyone anything will also lose their job. Its time to stop paying people who consistently do a poor job. This does not apply to the few excellent professors who do a very good job.

Indeed.

OP, the harsh truth is that your health, as well of that of your family and of society, is more important than your medical education right now.

• Love
My school has floated some ideas around and in-person small group things likely will happen, but large scale things likely wont. Stagger lab times and all that.

How are your schools handling returning to clinicals?

So far we're cancelled til August, but admin currently plans to return to normal programming in late july/aug. So now just praying that somehow this magical herd immunity kicks in...

Covid or not, going to class is extremely inefficient. Watch lectures from home at 2x speed while taking notes.

For the clinical years, I have no earthly idea how they are going to do their rotations.

A med student using their time wisely isnt sitting in giant lecture halls anyways. Our school had maybe 10 people out of a class of 250 that went to class pre-covid so honestly it didnt make much difference to us when it hit other than getting us out of OMM.

Except that people are walking for weeks without symptoms

Covid or not, going to class is extremely inefficient. Watch lectures from home at 2x speed while taking notes.

For the clinical years, I have no earthly idea how they are going to do their rotations.
Well some schools also have participation heavy PBL/TBL sessions.

So if we have mandatory in person rotations next year, do I like inject myself with COVID19 now so I don’t get knocked out sick during the school year? I don’t understand what our admin is doing.

I know, right? Could you imagine getting it in the middle of the year? there goes your plan for graduating on time...