No volunteer work...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

piss ant

Mike Rowe for President
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have no volunteer work. Kiss of death?

My stats are competitive (~3.5 science, ~3.3 overall, 30 MCAT), I have a lot of research, shadowing, and a previous paid job in a clinical setting. But I haven't volunteered for jack.

I'm applying this cycle FWIW.

Members don't see this ad.

The clinical experience will probably be the most important thing.

Posted via Mobile Device

What kind of job did you have in a clinical setting?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, I agree with the other posters. How long did you work in the "clinical setting" and what exactly did you do?

I took patient histories for about a year and a half.

I took patient histories for about a year and a half.

I think you're ok, since you've had lots of patient interaction and adequate exposure to the medical field and profession. I'm assuming you worked closely with doctors? If so, I think this will suffice.

Good Luck this cycle! :luck:

My volunteer work pretty much consisted of the same thing except I took vitals and you getting paid :(. You should be fine.

I would be careful about this. Working in a clinical setting is viewed differently than volunteering. I was told by VCOM that they thought I didnt have enough volunteering in a healthcare setting yet I had worked in a hospital for 2 full years. While I'm inclined to say that your MCAT will make this a non issue I would cover my bases because it could burn you. Volunteer at a free medical clinic or some place. Volunteering in a healthcare setting IS important and you can't underestimate it as a deal breaker in the end.

My stats are competitive (~3.5 science, ~3.3 overall, 30 MCAT), I have a lot of research, shadowing, and a previous paid job in a clinical setting. But I haven't volunteered for jack.

I was someone who didn't have a lot of time for volunteering. All through high school and college, I had to have a job. As the youngest of 4, my parents supported me for necessities only, and anything extra, I had to buy myself. (That includes car, insurance, cell phone, etc). So any of my time not spent on school was spent at a job. I did as many one day volunteer activities as I could fit in (Habitat for Humanity, Equinox, etc), but I never had a steady "volunteer" position. I did, however, work for 4 years as a patient care tech (basically a nurses aid + drawing blood and doing EKGs). I never once had an issue with "not enough volunteer time" because my clinical experience was more than enough. A lot of the people who have 6000 hours of volunteer time on their resume also don't have to worry about working. Every applicant is different, so you just need to show them why what you have done is just as good if not better.

"FWIW"...man I used to be good at internet acronyms in the good 'ol simple days of "LOL"...

It seems it depends on the school, some schools like to see the humanatarian in the applicant from volunteering. But some just see it as a way for the student to get clinical exposure. Your job should be enough for the clinical exposure part. If I were you I'd try and volunteer to walk dogs or volunteer in something I know I'd enjoy instead of going for more clinical exposure by changing bed pans.

I would be careful about this. Working in a clinical setting is viewed differently than volunteering. I was told by VCOM that they thought I didnt have enough volunteering in a healthcare setting yet I had worked in a hospital for 2 full years. While I'm inclined to say that your MCAT will make this a non issue I would cover my bases because it could burn you. Volunteer at a free medical clinic or some place. Volunteering in a healthcare setting IS important and you can't underestimate it as a deal breaker in the end.

I agree. Many schools value volunteerism, and while it isn't a requirement per se, it can be important, especially if it is a school's core value, or a part of a school's mission statement. Volunteering demonstrates something different than paid work. It doesn't have to be in a healthcare setting, especially if you already have serious healthcare experience, as you do, although many people like to combine volunteering with clinical experience, as to kill two birds with one stone. Many of the schools that I applied to were interested in my volunteer experience, some very deeply, to the point of requiring an essay describing my volunteer experiences.

I'm not an adcom member, so I can't say if it's going to hurt you. However, it seems a bit late to be trying to gain some volunteer experience now, if you are applying this cycle. I think commitment and consistancy show something, too. Anyway, if you are intent on applying at this point, you are where you are. It could totally be a non-issue. Again, I can't say. Good luck with it.

Last edited:
Your patient interactions are usually much less restricted when you are an employee.

Your patient interactions are usually much less restricted when you are an employee.

True. However, volunteering is not to be confused with health care experience or exposure. Some like to combine the two, but they don't have to be connected. As I mentioned in my above post, volunteering demonstrates something different than a paid job.

Thanks all for your feedback.

It depends on where you apply, some schools really focus of looking at volunteer experience, where others don't care where you get your clinical experience. I would just make sure to apply broadly