Noble Gas Q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoCt0rPeTe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why does a noble gas have a greater atomic radius than say a halogen? Just a bit confused as to why the trend deviates with regards to the noble gases.

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't. Increases to the left and down. If you were comparing F to like Xe, then Xe would be larger - it is more down.

Why does a noble gas have a greater atomic radius than say a halogen? Just a bit confused as to why the trend deviates with regards to the noble gases.

Due to the nature of noble gases (stability due the completion of octet), we ignore the atomic radius for noble gases.

However, the trend for increasing atomic radius is from right to left among periods, from bottom to top among groups, and also from left to right diagonally among the nonmetals in Group VIA and VIIA (eg. S<Br).

Due to the nature of noble gases (stability due the completion of octet), we ignore the atomic radius for noble gases.

However, the trend for increasing atomic radius is from right to left among periods, from bottom to top among groups, and also from left to right diagonally among the nonmetals in Group VIA and VIIA (eg. S<Br).

Yes I do agree. However my question is WHY do these noble gases violate the trend. I guess it has something to do with the shielding of their electrons...

Anyone??

Members don't see this ad :)

The trend does not deviate when it comes to noble gasses. They have the smallest atomic radii / highest ionization energy in a given period. You may have seen different values for atomic radii of He Ne and Ar but that is b/c no known compounds exist for these so the values are estimated. I dont know where all these other answers are coming from but this comes from the textbook.

The trend does not deviate when it comes to noble gasses. They have the smallest atomic radii / highest ionization energy in a given period. You may have seen different values for atomic radii of He Ne and Ar but that is b/c no known compounds exist for these so the values are estimated. I dont know where all these other answers are coming from but this comes from the textbook.

Thanks! Yea I just double checked with two other sources and this is def. right...

I had a practice problem and the answer stated that noble gases have greater atomic radii and I just couldn't see how...