Noise Cancelling Headphones

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrmandrake

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I heard you can wear those noise cancelling headphones during the MCAT. I have a couple of questions.

1) Did you use them during your test? If not, why?
2) I get distracted by noise easily. Is this gonna be a huge problem during the MCAT because I know everyone starts and stops at different times?
3) Someone told me the headphones play some sort of ocean sounds. Anyone have an mp3 like that they can send me?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I wore them during my test, however they don't block out sounds fully....you can clearly hear someone typing during the writing section. The only part that gets distracting is when someone is going absolutly nuts when hitting the keys. Ocean Sounds? i took it in Erie PA and they were just regular headphones that didn't play anything. I think i would have been more distracted by ocean sounds than by anything else

At my testing center they provided headphones (over ear foam headphones) and would not let you bring in other headphones. They would not have let anyone listen to any music or other sounds.

Thanks guys,

I guess I was misinformed about the ocean sounds. Good to know since I would think it would be more distracting. Not sure why this person told me they had ocean sounds.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe his headphones acted like a sea-shell for whatever reason. Anyway, I'm also bothered by sounds occasionally, but I found their headphones more annoying. They were these old looking huge headphones with some horrible cheap plastic cushioning. They also did not like to stay on that well. On top of that, they didn't block out the sound that well and they made my ears uncomfortable. So I ended up taking them off. Try them on before you start your test and see if you can deal with them. My suggestion, go to the center early so you can start early. That will hopefully ensure that you're on the VR section while everyone else is on the PS-VR. If you start late, then you might have to try doing the VR section during the WS.

Maybe his headphones acted like a sea-shell for whatever reason. Anyway, I'm also bothered by sounds occasionally, but I found their headphones more annoying. They were these old looking huge headphones with some horrible cheap plastic cushioning. They also did not like to stay on that well. On top of that, they didn't block out the sound that well and they made my ears uncomfortable. So I ended up taking them off. Try them on before you start your test and see if you can deal with them. My suggestion, go to the center early so you can start early. That will hopefully ensure that you're on the VR section while everyone else is on the PS-VR. If you start late, then you might have to try doing the VR section during the WS.

That sounds like good advice. I'm going to try that. How early will they normally let you start?