Non-Accredited Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DustinfromCA

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else going to a school with pre-candidate or candidate status?

I've been accepted to a relatively new program and was just wondering if anyone could tell me how these schools normally recieve full accreditation. Have there been schools in the past that have been put on cadidate status or pre-candidate status and not recieved their full accreditation and had students graduate with worthless and expensive degrees? What would these students then do to pay off their loans?

I was just talking to my parents and they were worried about me entering a program that was not fully accredited but it was either this or wait another year to try again.

Anyone in my same shoes?

Members don't see this ad.

The school gets full accreditation when it has its first graduating class. Which school did you get accepted to?

The only school that didn't get it was a pharmacy school in Hawaii. What happened was that they were being greedy and accepted too many students. Normally a new school only accepts 60-70 students a year and then gradually increase from that. The school in Hawaii accepted 240 students and I think there were other problems also. I don't know what happened to the students of that school. They probably applied to other pharmacy schools and probably all got accepted due to their situation.

It's very unlikely that your school won't get full accreditation. It has to start somewhere right? I don't think it is wise to wait for another year and apply because the school you got accepted in this year might not even accept you next year since it will be more competitive.

Which school are you talking about?

Members don't see this ad :)
Which school are you talking about?

Touro college of pharmacy

They have candidate status but will not be graduating their first class until I would be completing my second year.

Hey,

I just wanted to let you know that a lot of students got into a debate about accrediation for UACP in Virginia b/c they are currently in pre-candidate status and everyone thought it was really iffy if they get it or not due to their facilities and the town being so small. After much debate and doubting, I finally got tired of the back and forth arguments and called the accrediting committee. I asked very specific questions and even asked about the school status itself. I asked if any schools, with the exception of Hawaii, has ever not attained candidancy after receiving the approval for pre-candidate status. She explained the process schools had to go through to get pre-candidate status, which is mainly filtering all their curriculum, etc to make sure they will make a good pharmacy school. If they go through this process several times with no improvements, they will not be allowed to start a pharmacy school. She says that there has not been a school in atleast 30 years that qualified for pre-candidate status that did not attain full accreditation later on. With ofcourse, the exception of Hawaii b/c they basically were cons who lied to the board and the students they accepted. If you are curious and have different questions to ask, here is the number: 312-664-3575 Hope this helped you in some way!! Good luck!

Touro college of pharmacy

They have candidate status but will not be graduating their first class until I would be completing my second year.

If they have candidate status, then you are qualified to take the NAPLEX just like any other students even if the school doesn't have full accreditation. Don't worry too much about it.

Hey,

I just wanted to let you know that a lot of students got into a debate about accrediation for UACP in Virginia b/c they are currently in pre-candidate status and everyone thought it was really iffy if they get it or not due to their facilities and the town being so small. After much debate and doubting, I finally got tired of the back and forth arguments and called the accrediting committee. I asked very specific questions and even asked about the school status itself. I asked if any schools, with the exception of Hawaii, has ever not attained candidancy after receiving the approval for pre-candidate status. She explained the process schools had to go through to get pre-candidate status, which is mainly filtering all their curriculum, etc to make sure they will make a good pharmacy school. If they go through this process several times with no improvements, they will not be allowed to start a pharmacy school. She says that there has not been a school in atleast 30 years that qualified for pre-candidate status that did not attain full accreditation later on. With ofcourse, the exception of Hawaii b/c they basically were cons who lied to the board and the students they accepted. If you are curious and have different questions to ask, here is the number: 312-664-3575 Hope this helped you in some way!! Good luck!

i heard about hawaii. what exactly happened?

From what I heard during my LLU interview, Hawaii College of Pharmacy applied for pre-candidate status, didn't recieve it, they didn't even warrant an on-site interview, they were rejected straight off the bat, yet they still enrolled students, and then kept enrolling eventhough they were not taking the proper steps towards accreditation, they just blatantly lied to their student body. And then as the ship started sinking the rats running the school started swimming away..

If you don't know normally a school applies for pre-candidate status before accepting students. Then get candidate status after a year or so, then recieve accreditation when graduating their first class or the year after.

Its like there are rigid steps you have to take towards accreditation, Hawaii College of Pharmacy couldn't get past the first step in the staircase, so it turned around and started looking for an elevator..

Its really a shame that so may students were ripped off sooo much money and two years of their lives they will never get back.

Is there anything I got wrong or am leaving out? Please add.

One of the friends I met at Mercer interview told me that 2 of his buddies were from that hawaii school. After the incident, they started apply to other pharm schools with letters and calls specifically expalining their situations. THey eventually ended up in the Touro school and the school gladly accepted them. I think Touro is still pre-candidate (I am not sure). Another girl from that Hawaii school had to start everything again (which was really really not nice at all) and I met her at the interview for OSU and she talked about it. She is in the process of suing the school for the tuition money. I really feel sorry for those people and glad that I was not in that situation. Hopefully, that school will give people precaution when conisdering new schools.

One of the friends I met at Mercer interview told me that 2 of his buddies were from that hawaii school. After the incident, they started apply to other pharm schools with letters and calls specifically expalining their situations. THey eventually ended up in the Touro school and the school gladly accepted them. I think Touro is still pre-candidate (I am not sure). Another girl from that Hawaii school had to start everything again (which was really really not nice at all) and I met her at the interview for OSU and she talked about it. She is in the process of suing the school for the tuition money. I really feel sorry for those people and glad that I was not in that situation. Hopefully, that school will give people precaution when conisdering new schools.

Touro recieved pre-candidate status in 2005 and candidate status in 2006, so they seem to be moving smoothly. So you personally would wait a year than go to a non-fully accredited school?

If you are curious and have different questions to ask, here is the number: 312-664-3575 Hope this helped you in some way!! Good luck!

Thank you so much, I will give them a call sometime this week.

And thanks everyone else for your great advice.

Touro recieved pre-candidate status in 2005 and candidate status in 2006, so they seem to be moving smoothly. So you personally would wait a year than go to a non-fully accredited school?

Thank you so much, I will give them a call sometime this week.

And thanks everyone else for your great advice.

I wouldn't wait like the girl I met did and would go ahead and apply to other shcools. She told me she had other stuffs going on in the family and decided to take a year off. BUt anyhow, I guess I'll call the numbmer the other friend provided next week to ask about this issue again. IT's really helpful that there is someone knowing the number. Thanks!

I wouldn't wait like the girl I met did and would go ahead and apply to other shcools. She told me she had other stuffs going on in the family and decided to take a year off. BUt anyhow, I guess I'll call the numbmer the other friend provided next week to ask about this issue again. IT's really helpful that there is someone knowing the number. Thanks!

? I'm sorry I am a bit confused with your post ?

Hi .. sorry for the confusion :) What happened to the girl I met is this: she was with the hawaii school, the school got problem and closed, she decided to take a year off due to some family business and started the process of suing the school for the money tuition, then this year she reapplies to several places including OSU where she met me and told me about her situation. What I was saying was that: If I were her, I'd not have taken 1 year off but instead applied right away to other school.
LOL... sorry to confuse you though... Good night !

If they have candidate status, then you are qualified to take the NAPLEX just like any other students even if the school doesn't have full accreditation. Don't worry too much about it.

Do you know how long a school can have candidate status? Just curious because it is only 4 years right?

From what i know candidate status is for five years. So if u fall under that window u are fine.

Do you know how long a school can have candidate status? Just curious because it is only 4 years right?

Yes.. thanks to pologirl I called APCE and they told me it is 4 years (2 year intervals). I expressed my worry to her because Touro recieved its candidate status in 2006 and I will be graduating in 2011, and well you can do the math. But she told me she can make no guarantees but Touro should be accredited before then unless "something drastic" occurs. Touro obviously has been doing something right to achieve candidate status.

I was worried that the 2 years of in class education wouldn't be enough to prepare you for the boards but the nice lady at APCE assured me if the curriculum isn't up to par and the faculty isn't competent then APCE would not have approved their application so I am very confident now in Touro despite the off chance that something terrible will occur. And even then I asked her in that event could a school with candidate status be given a probationary term just like an accredited school and she said "well technically I guess, ::laugh:: but that has never happened before so it would be a first"

Thanks for all the information!

Does anyone know, do schools in CA like TU, LLU and UCSD who don't have full accreditation, are the students allowed to get intern liscences and work in pharmacies?

Hawaii started their school without even going through the petition for pharmacy school (step 1 with ACPE) or step 2 which is precandidate status.

So they basically said "lets start a pharmacy school", accepted a boat load of students (250 into their first class), began their first year of classes, and then tried to apply for precandidate status. That is the wrong way to do it.

Plus there were other problems....many seemed to be language problems with some of the students that made teaching/learning difficult.

If a programs goes through the correct procedures then they shouldn't have a lot of difficulty getting accreditation.