Non-Clinical Volunteering Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flyingeagle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I wanted some clarification regarding what would be classified as non-clinical volunteering. I understand doing something in an underprivileged setting like soup kitchen would count. One thing I'm involved in is going to a nearby adolescent prison, talking to the inmates to give them people their age to talk with. Would this count as non-clinical volunteering? And would the inmates be seen as underprivileged?

Another club I'm involved with is serving as a mentor for a kid from an underprivileged community, we meet once a week doing homework and other academic activities followed by fun activities. Would this count?

Also, what about a child day-care center where I spend time playing/feeding infants?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Non-clinical means not working in a medical/clinical setting. So, yes, working with inmates, being a mentor for children, and volunteering at a day-care are non-clinical volunteering experiences.

And I supposed the inmates would be seen as "in need of societal rehabilitation". Whatever you think that means; it's still very important. Even if it doesn't really work all that often. But I suppose that's irrelevant to your question. I digress?

Hey everyone,

I wanted some clarification regarding what would be classified as non-clinical volunteering. I understand doing something in an underprivileged setting like soup kitchen would count. One thing I'm involved in is going to a nearby adolescent prison, talking to the inmates to give them people their age to talk with. Would this count as non-clinical volunteering? And would the inmates be seen as underprivileged?

Another club I'm involved with is serving as a mentor for a kid from an underprivileged community, we meet once a week doing homework and other academic activities followed by fun activities. Would this count?

Also, what about a child day-care center where I spend time playing/feeding infants?

Thanks in advance!

Adolescent prison : probably. You'll find that many adolescents who engage in illicit activities tend to be from under-served populations.

Mentoring: yup.

Child day-care center: is this employment?

Members don't see this ad :)
Adolescent prison : probably. You'll find that many adolescents who engage in illicit activities tend to be from under-served populations.

Mentoring: yup.

Child day-care center: is this employment?

Nope the child day-care center is a 1-2 hour/week volunteering experience. But thanks for the feedback, that helps

Non-clinical community service is very important, and all of your experiences described above are good.

But do keep in mind that long term commitment to one organization is much more impressive than sporadic weekend stints all around the place.

Find something you enjoy and stick with it!

Keep up the good work!

Reactions: 1 user