Non-Diabetic Charcot Foot

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MollyGrue

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a pre-podiatry student by trade, and today I saw a patient with Charcot's Foot who had severe peripheral neuropathy but NO diabetes. Has anyone else seen this? I always thought the two went hand in hand...

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a pre-podiatry student by trade, and today I saw a patient with Charcot's Foot who had severe peripheral neuropathy but NO diabetes. Has anyone else seen this? I always thought the two went hand in hand...

Yep, seen it a good bit over the years.

Neuropathy (PN) and DM do generally go hand in hand, but there are other ways to manifest PN such as chronic alcoholism and Vitamin B12 deficiency to name a few.

We did a case study on this in our clinic one time. As Kidsfeet said, Charcot can be caused by peripheral neuropathy. We always link Charcot with DM but its really because of the PN.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just had a patient in yesterday who was an alcohol abuser and now has significant neuropathy and is beginning to show signs of a Charcot Foot. And he is only 51.

Diabetes would allow for either proposed pathogenesis of Charcot (neurotraumatic or neurovascular). Which would explain why so many patients who develop charcot have had uncontrolled diabetes for years.

You might as well add trauma, Renal disease, vasculitis, RA, Lupus, and hypothyroidism to your list of medical conditions that can cause neuropathic arthropathy, as all of these can lead to peripheral neuropathy. The clinicians on this site could probably tell you how common/rare some of these are.