Step I Non-enhancing demyelination on MRI???

Started by MDaddict
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MDaddict

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
First Aid indicates that JC virus reaction causes PML --> area of demyelination on MRI is non-enhancing?

Where else can this be seen - i.e. what comes to mind in pathophysiology/differential diagnosis when you know that something causes non-enhancing demyelination - I feel like I am missing something very obvious.
 
Last edited:
First Aid indicates that JC virus reaction causes PML --> area of demyelination on MRI is non-enhancing?

Where else can this be seen - i.e. what comes to mind in pathophysiology/differential diagnosis when you know that something causes non-enhancing demyelination - I feel like I am missing something very obvious.

PML is the only one. Contrast with enhancing that is seen in MS.
 
I got couple of Q wrong based purely on MRI finding. PMl is mostly seen in HIV patients. As such the way i approach CNS lesions in HIV patients is

Ring enhancing VS non-enchancing

Ring enhancing:
CNS primary Lymphoma:
presence of EBV DNA in the CSF + change in M.S + weakly ring-enhancing PERIVENTRICULAR , SOLITARY Mass

Toxoplasmosis: unlikely if pt is receiving TMP-SMX. Also MULTIPLE, ring enchancing, spherical lesions in BASAL GANGLIA.
-i was expecting them to tell us CD count, but they didn't. otherwise CD<100.

-positive toxoplasma serology is common in normal person too so NOT SPECIFIC for toxoplasmosis


Non-enchancing lesion in HIV pt:

AIDS Encephalopathy: cortical & subcortical atrophy & secondary ventricular enlargement
s/s: dementia + depression + movement disorder

PML: JC virus etc

if CD<50--> CMV encephalitis (low yield)