Non-Life Science Majors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YUYUYUYUYUYUYUYU

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you that didnt major in a life science, and the depth of your science background is from the pre-reqs (with an additional 200 level micro class) how did you do? Or if anyone knew of their classmates in this situation, how did they do?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

For those of you that didnt major in a life science, and the depth of your science background is from the pre-reqs (with an additional 200 level micro class) how did you do? Or if anyone knew of their classmates in this situation, how did they do?

Thanks!

Strictly anecdotal, but I would say the trend I've seen is as so: you'll generally do better with content that you've seen before, but there's no undergrad major (amazing how many people in med school "did neuroscience with a minor in biomedical engineering") that prepares you for everything. If you were a biochem major, great. Biochem and some path/pharm will be a bit easier if you actually paid attention in UG. But it won't help you with anatomy.

We have attorneys, engineers, computer science majors, English majors, all sorts of students here. The ones that had a super ambitious triple major with 5 pubs before they came here are more likely to be toward the top of the class, sure. But the idiots like me that did the bare minimum pre-reqs (some as a post-bacc at a JuCo) and worked 60-80 hours a week for the last decade still do fine. Everyone brings different experience/knowledge to the table and all of it can be beneficial or detrimental if used (in)correctly.

I only did the pre-reqs in college (Humanities major). One particular D.O. school rejected me because I didn't have enough science courses to show that I could handle med school. Finished pre-clinical in top 30 and just got mid 250s on USMLE step 1.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Econ major, I graduated with one science class in fishing. I took the minimum science prereqs in my post bacc (just bio, chem, orgo, physics). I got a 240ish on Step 1 (and was middle of the class grades wise). The first semester was hard because I had no idea how to study, but after that it was pretty good. Just gotta apply yourself and you'll be ok.

History major here, did a gap year to work, did bare minimum science prereqs. 594/641 225/237. Currently a categorical surgery intern. You’ll be fine if you work hard.

It doesn’t matter at all what you majored in in college. I was nursing and got 270+ step. We got English majors that did well also

Work

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
It's not the degree. It's the people's mindsets and intelligence that make or break them. I, along with a few others at my school, are doing very well and were non-science majors, but we had life experiences that made learning a lot of things easier. Don't worry about it.

The only thing you might notice is that people who were in some feeder biomedical science program at your school will likely have had a similar (or exactly the same) coursework at the beginning and probably think they are hot **** because they know the school and know how some faculty tests. Don't worry, they will come crashing to reality soon enough lol.

Yeah we had some of them feeders from the masters degrees at my school. They did well first semester then struggled from then on once physiology started and full courseloads were required

Very little in undergrad prepares you for medical school. I could count on one hand the number of courses I had before med school that even remotely helped with a bit of stuff in 1st year. You'll be fine. You'll have to work hard like everyone else.

It's not the degree. It's the people's mindsets and intelligence that make or break them. I, along with a few others at my school, are doing very well and were non-science majors, but we had life experiences that made learning a lot of things easier. Don't worry about it.

The only thing you might notice is that people who were in some feeder biomedical science program at your school will likely have had a similar (or exactly the same) coursework at the beginning and probably think they are hot **** because they know the school and know how some faculty tests. Don't worry, they will come crashing to reality soon enough lol.

This. Drives me crazy.

nothing in undergrad matters, at all