Non Medical Research Paper- Religious Studies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DOC ESTREET

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Everyone,

I'm a a pre-med whose a Religious studies major. I had to write a thesis paper for my degree and wanted to know if there was a way to highlight this in my application or maybe even apply it as research experience. My professor called it "one of the best I have received during my 20 years of teaching". I kind of would hate to let it go to waste. Would this count as research experience?

Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
 
I'm a a pre-med whose a Religious studies major. I had to write a thesis paper for my degree and wanted to know if there was a way to highlight this in my application or maybe even apply it as research experience. My professor called it "one of the best I have received during my 20 years of teaching". I kind of would hate to let it go to waste. Would this count as research experience?

Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Did you complete an original, hypothesis-based scholarly work that added to human knowledge. Did you describe your methods, accumulated data, analysis, and then draw a conclusion? If so, it might be the type of research for which the Research tag is intended. If not, you can still describe the project and its process under another tag, like Other.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nope.


Hey Everyone,

I'm a a pre-med whose a Religious studies major. I had to write a thesis paper for my degree and wanted to know if there was a way to highlight this in my application or maybe even apply it as research experience. My professor called it "one of the best I have received during my 20 years of teaching". I kind of would hate to let it go to waste. Would this count as research experience?

Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
 
Humanities theses (even at the PhD level) tend to involve digging through the library more to read about some topic and expressing your (defended) opinion about the topic rather than hypothesis-driven research. It probably doesn't teach much of the scientific method, although I can't say I'm an expert in that area. But you can always highlight the fact that you completed an honors thesis or if your thesis won any awards. Your adviser would probably write something to that effect in your letter of recommendation if he/she truly felt that way.
 
I would hesitate to label it as scientific research unless the scientific method was used. Otherwise, it sounds like something that is unique. I would include it on my app, but would put it under a different category.
 
Thanks for the replies! To clarify, I probably should have worded my question differently. I definitely did not intend to label it as scientific research. My mistake!
 
Hey Everyone,

I'm a a pre-med whose a Religious studies major. I had to write a thesis paper for my degree and wanted to know if there was a way to highlight this in my application or maybe even apply it as research experience. My professor called it "one of the best I have received during my 20 years of teaching". I kind of would hate to let it go to waste. Would this count as research experience?

Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Get a LOR from the professor. With any luck, he'll write what is shown above in his letter.