Non-medicine related ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Green Pirate

Neurotic Neuro Enthusiast
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having sort of a problem getting involved in non-medicine related ECs. I guess it is because I am mostly interested in medicine, and would rather spend my free time doing research or something else in the hospital. I don't want to just get involved in some clubs just to put stuff on my application because that's just lame. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else has found themselves in a similar position and if so, how did you deal with it? Any ideas?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

its kind of hard to give advice for this.... what do you like to do for fun? just do more of that. hah.

if you want a new hobby just look at a list of clubs, flyers around your campus, im not sure, ask your friends or friends of friends for ideas?

i think it is easy to begin thinking of everything through the premedical lens. remember you are not a part of premed, premed is a part of you.

Are you telling me we need "non-medical" ECs???

Why? I don't get it. A lot of the clubs I see here are a huge waste of time because I have absolutely 0 (zero) interest in them. They are big time/energy leeches, with little to none tangible output.

I guess sports would be nice. I like sports and will probably join an IM next year or something.

Still, that's pretty BS to require non-medical ECs (if thats what you implied with your post).

Members don't see this ad :)
Definately try to do something non-medicine related. Without them you may be a good candidate but not the best for med school, adcoms appreciate student with outside interests. Good luck.

I'm having sort of a problem getting involved in non-medicine related ECs. I guess it is because I am mostly interested in medicine, and would rather spend my free time doing research or something else in the hospital. I don't want to just get involved in some clubs just to put stuff on my application because that's just lame. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else has found themselves in a similar position and if so, how did you deal with it? Any ideas?:confused:

Get involved in what you love (even if its pre-med related...). There is no box that you have to check saying you completed some non-med EC. I think it matters how much you contribute to what you do.

I did tons of "pre-med" stuff- research, volunteers, clinical stuff (and I still do it because I absolutely love it). I tried some non-premed stuff and enjoyed it...but not nearly as much as the other things I do :)

Do you mean non-medical volunteering or just non-medical "stuff" in general?

I think as long as you are volunteering and putting in the time, then schools will recognize that. BUT, if medicine related stuff is all you do...then they might ask "What do you like to do BESIDES research/clinical/medical volunteer?"

You don't have to like "chess" or "debate" to have extra-curriculars. EC's are the things that make you...well, YOU. One of my most important EC's is my music...playing in bands..practicing...and teaching students. Another is that I like to read books about history and politics. I spent a good amount of time with my little brother, helping him with homework and life in general.

None of these are associated with my university or any "clubs." But I could tell you exactly why each of them is important to me and how they have shaped me as a person.

Just relax and do some cool stuff. Now is the time for it, before medical school and residency. Don't worry about how it looks on an application, adcomms can spot a contrived app so easily. With GPA and MCAT as universal requirements, do you think med schools really care whether you have 200 or 300 hours of clinical volunteering? Whether you are involved in "medical" stuff every waking minute? No, they want to see that you are interested and involved in the world around you, and there are SO many things you can do that fall into this definition.

Adcomm members know that even with all the medical related EC's in the world, no pre-med student is going to really know anything about medicine until med-school. Sure, you may learn a specific set of knowledge for your research, or watch some neat things shadowing. You may even succeed in impressing your friends with your relatively tiny amount of medical knowledge. But the truth is, your medical education does not start until you begin medical school. Therefore, why be all obsessed with medicine right now? You have the rest of your career coming up where you will be required to be obsessed with medicine.

Are adcomms looking for people with a passionate interest in medicine? Yes. But generally, people like this are into other aspects of life too.

Reactions: 1 user
Not having non-medicine ECs is not a negative, IMO, but expect some questions about it during your interview. It seems as though med schools like people that have interests outside of medicine.

Do you mean non-medical volunteering or just non-medical "stuff" in general?

I think as long as you are volunteering and putting in the time, then schools will recognize that. BUT, if medicine related stuff is all you do...then they might ask "What do you like to do BESIDES research/clinical/medical volunteer?"

You don't have to like "chess" or "debate" to have extra-curriculars. EC's are the things that make you...well, YOU. One of my most important EC's is my music...playing in bands..practicing...and teaching students. Another is that I like to read books about history and politics. I spent a good amount of time with my little brother, helping him with homework and life in general.

None of these are associated with my university or any "clubs." But I could tell you exactly why each of them is important to me and how they have shaped me as a person.

Just relax and do some cool stuff. Now is the time for it, before medical school and residency. Don't worry about how it looks on an application, adcomms can spot a contrived app so easily. With GPA and MCAT as universal requirements, do you think med schools really care whether you have 200 or 300 hours of clinical volunteering? Whether you are involved in "medical" stuff every waking minute? No, they want to see that you are interested and involved in the world around you, and there are SO many things you can do that fall into this definition.

Adcomm members know that even with all the medical related EC's in the world, no pre-med student is going to really know anything about medicine until med-school. Sure, you may learn a specific set of knowledge for your research, or watch some neat things shadowing. You may even succeed in impressing your friends with your relatively tiny amount of medical knowledge. But the truth is, your medical education does not start until you begin medical school. Therefore, why be all obsessed with medicine right now? You have the rest of your career coming up where you will be required to be obsessed with medicine.

Are adcomms looking for people with a passionate interest in medicine? Yes. But generally, people like this are into other aspects of life too.

Awesome post. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: