non-research programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

runnermed

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering what programs other than Cleveland, don't put an emphasis on research during residency. I'm sure that many places have research going on, but I'm looking for ones where I will have the freedom to totally focus on patient care.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

henry ford hospital as of last couple years does not put much emphasis on research, that may change since they have a new chairman. However in the past 3 years only one of the resident has actually submitted abstracts and has been accepted in Astro meetings.

-f8

MUSC, Kansas, UTMB all seemed to have research, particularly basic science, on the back burner. Louisville has no preference for PhDs and almost never interview too many. Emory has done little research in the past, but they want NCI designation and are now requiring it.

Members don't see this ad :)
runnermed said:
Hi,
I'm looking for ones where I will have the freedom to totally focus on patient care.

I think most places can read through this statement. If I was you I wouldn't say that on an interview.

Why not? Research just really doesn't interest me that much. I did bench work for 3 yrs in college in AIDS vaccines and 2 years post grad as a CRA in clinical oncology. After doing both of those, I am sure that the research end is not for me. Now I know that radonc is such a technological field that there are many oppurtunities as well as a need for both clinical and theoretical research, but I would prefer to totally focus on patient care and learning to be the best possible clinician for my patients. If hospitals will "see through that" as you say, then perhaps those are hospitals that I would not want to be a part of. I only asked a question based upon my previous experiences and knowledge about myself and what I am truly passionate about. I never asked for people to question my intent on choosing radonc as a field.

Ursus Martimus said:
I think most places can read through this statement. If I was you I wouldn't say that on an interview.

runnermed said:
I never asked for people to question my intent on choosing radonc as a field.

Get ready for everyone on interviews to ask that question. It is a grim reality that you should prepare for.