non-science background looking for good postbacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sainttpk

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello folks,

here is the scoop, I am a 2nd year law student contemplating medical school DO or MD. Here is my question, I have little or no science background and I am looking for a 1 or 2 year post bacc program. I would really like to go through a formal post bacc beacuse I like having structure in my life.

Here is what I am looking for
1) Small class sizes
2) support network
3) good faculty
4) cheap tuition would be nice
5) classes not graded on curve? advantages, disadvantages.

Any thoughts on harvard? Bennington? or Brywn Mawrr?

question 1) What is the advantage of attending a one year program as opposed to a two year post bacc program?

if anyone could help me out that would be great. I am a 2nd year law student, and law school is 3 years which means I will graduate in May 2006. Does that mean I should start applying for these programs now? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Saint

Members don't see this ad.

One year is better, because that's one more year eventually as a doc, which means more $$ for you. If your GPA really stinks, then two years are better.

There are threads on all the schools you listed. Here's my 2 cents:

Harvard, you get everything except for small class sizes - the premed classes are a little more than 200 students. However, with discussion sections and labs, I consider that to be manageable. The classes post their syllabi and web page (if they have one) right on the Extension web site (the more info, the better, right?). They also offer lots of science classes outside the premed classes if your science GPA needs a boostin'.

Bennington and Bryn Mawr are both expensive. Don't know about class size. Bryn Mawr is also incredibly competitive to get into - their linkages attract a lot of looks.

Deadlines very widely, but I wouldn't worry about that until the new year.

I'll be in the Bennington program. Accepted for this Fall, but I deferred til Summer 2005 to pay some bills before I go. PM me if you like, or I'm happy to answer questions here out loud.

Small classes, great faculty, great support program. No undergrads to fight with. Great environment. I'll be doing the intense 1-year version, since I work 60- or 70-hour weeks now anyway and want to get moving. I am a liberal arts person, and not a native speaker of the science. I need to learn how to study that sort of stuff (another reason I'm waiting). Bennington's program is for people like that.

Not cheap though. Not even a little.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can only speak about the Columbia post-bacc:

Pros:
The education is rigorous--physics at CU is a whole different world from anything else I ever saw as an undergrad. Then again, they do institute a curve.

The university itself has fantastic resources available to a postbacc student such as tutoring, etc. Also, although the program is technically under the College of General Studies, you take all your classes with Columbia College undergrads and there is no distinction between the two whatsoever--so adcoms know these aren't any watered-down night classes.

It is easy to volunteer and get involved with significant research projects, even as a first year. We get solicitations practically everyday from researchers at Columbia P&S and other area med schools and hospitals looking for research volunteers. Plus, Columbia post-baccs have a reputation of being very reliable and very competent research associates so faculty actually want to take you on their team (where else can you get someone bright and motivated with a B.A. to work for free?)

From what I've heard, people do get interviewed/accepted into med schools coming out of the post bacc program here. I spoke to one recent grad who had 4 interviews in NYC alone (Columbia P&S, NYMC, Mount Sinai, Albert Einstein)! On the other hand, many of the post baccs here are already very accomplished; its not unusual to hear someone tell you their stories about their "second summer spent in rural southwestern Somalia curing aids. . ." ect. Or about how "when I was an undergrad at Harvard, I volunteered at Mass General 8 days a week. . ." So I'm not that suprised that many people get accepted to top medschools coming from here. I will say that you will be totally prepared for the MCAT by the courses here however!

CONS:
EXPENSIVE! EXPENSIVE! EXPENSIVE!

Advising: They're there, but you're pretty much on your own. This isn't the place if you need someone cheerleading for you and holding your hand the whole way. You have to be independent to survive.

Fellow Postbaccs: Some are very nice. There is a general atmosphere of congeniality. Most are not overtly competitive (this isn't the "Paper Chase") On the other hand, there are many ruthless gunners--this doesn't bother me personally, but some people get really bothered by the person who, after an exam, says "I can't believe my score was this low! I mean a 95? There's no way I actually got a question wrong! There must be some mistake! How'd you do?" Then you look down at your 90 and say "Oh, I got 100..."

NYC: You either love it or you hate it, but its unbelievably expensive to live here. Plus, Columbia's pretty far uptown so you either live in Brooklyn or Hoboken and commute 1.5 hrs a day, or you live in "Morningside Heights" ( "where Harlem meets Manhattenville")

HARD HARD HARD
This is the place to be if you really want to find your limits. I mean, I'm no genius, but I'm no idiot either and I find this ridiculously hard. The workload is relentless, some of the exam questions are borderline impossible, and there is no mercy. From what I've heard, about 40% of the people here leave the program (either because its too difficult, they did really poorly their first semester, can't justify the cost, or just realized how long the road to becoming a doctor actually was). You must take physics, general chemistry, and calculus before you can start moving into biology, so there's no starting out easy.

Don't go to Columbia to remedy a low GPA--that's a very bad idea. Do go if you're naturally bright and motivated and you're certain you want to be a doctor. There is no way that you can come out of here with good grades and still bomb the MCAT--the education itself is that rigorous. Do come here if you like to be challenged and are ready to make a full-time committment to your education.

I had absolutely no science background whatsoever coming here. You don't need to have one, you just have to be intelligent and willing to learn.

Good luck!

-Crake

As a postbac lawyer, I would recommend completing law school before beginning a postbacc program. At the very least, it makes for an interesting med school candidate and shows you are not a quitter. You'll find a lot of postbacs that took the LSAT, applied and were admitted to law school, but few with the degree. Besides, if you're interested in becoming a doctor because you love the field, what is an extra year or two if you'll be doing medicine in your 60's?

One other thought, I took a bio class in the evenings during law school (before enrolling in a postbac program). My law school grades likely suffered, but I made the science courses a priority. You may want to look into filling some of the pre-reqs while in law school, that can shorten your postbac period by a year or so. i.e. some programs won't allow you to take bio or orgo without general chemistry, statistics, calculus, etc.

Good luck.

Sainttpk said:
hello folks,

here is the scoop, I am a 2nd year law student contemplating medical school DO or MD. Here is my question, I have little or no science background and I am looking for a 1 or 2 year post bacc program. I would really like to go through a formal post bacc beacuse I like having structure in my life.

Here is what I am looking for
1) Small class sizes
2) support network
3) good faculty
4) cheap tuition would be nice
5) classes not graded on curve? advantages, disadvantages.

Any thoughts on harvard? Bennington? or Brywn Mawrr?

question 1) What is the advantage of attending a one year program as opposed to a two year post bacc program?

if anyone could help me out that would be great. I am a 2nd year law student, and law school is 3 years which means I will graduate in May 2006. Does that mean I should start applying for these programs now? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Saint