Non-Science Letter of Rec

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ausernamegoeshere

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This fall, I'm planning on taking a class that's crosslisted as both a history and astronomy class - it looks at the development of our understanding of the universe from a historical perspective, and doesn't involve any technical science. The professor is part of the history department and is an amazing and brilliant guy, so I'm really excited for the class!

I'm wondering if it makes sense to try to get a letter of rec after taking this class and use it as a non-science letter; I'm worried that it might not be interpreted as a true non-science letter because the focus of the class is still cosmology.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Does the course description focus on physical events like inflation, nucleosynthesis and recombination? History of the universe is indeed a borderline area since it is a hot topic explored by physicists in search for a grand theory of everything.

Or does your course focus mainly on the cosmologists from antiquity to modern era? In that case, you are safe to use your professor's letter as a non-science letter since the course serves as a history of science.

I think when you mentioned the course skips the technical details, it's focusing on the second scenario but better to verify.

The main focus of the course is definitely on the scientists themselves; of course, by virtue of studying the scientists, I assume that the physical events will be covered as well, but through the perspectives of the cosmologists and their work. Hopefully I should be okay!

Members don't see this ad :)
The professor is part of the history department. I don't see any issue with that

Reactions: 1 user
The main focus of the course is definitely on the scientists themselves; of course, by virtue of studying the scientists, I assume that the physical events will be covered as well, but through the perspectives of the cosmologists and their work. Hopefully I should be okay!

Yeah it's definitely history and a valid non-science letter. Have fun!

Reactions: 1 user