Non-Science Letter of Rec....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

relentless11

Going broke and loving it
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi again,

Just curious as to what people had for their non-science letter of recommendation, and how it worked out in the end?

I've seen a few being humanities, while others were just general non-sciences like english. Does it have to be humanities? Or could one have one that isn't humanities but its a well written letter of rec?

My predicament is as follows. I've had a few humanities classes way back when, (years ago) before this whole pre-med thing really kicked started. So i'm faced with just contacting these people for a letter of rec, or using a non-science one that i know would show many good attributes.

This non-science one is a "PE" class. Its not what you think, its actually advanced rescue scuba diving, where we train to work for the police when ever they need a diver. This class requires leadership, medical, and communication skills not to mention endurance (cold waters of northern california..hehe). Anyway, we're a tight nit group, so we know each other pretty well. The instructor isn't a professor though, just an instructor.

My other choices are womens studies, or an upper division english class. The English class i took a year ago, and the womens studies class a year and a half ago. I feel awkward in asking someone for a letter of rec after all this time. Besides these classes were in bit lecture halls so they didn't allow for a lot of student/instructor interaction.

Lastly, i had a letter of recommendation from a Pediatrician a while back, and i think my HPAC lost it since i had to reregister my records after i graduated. So you guys think i should call her up and ask if she has a copy? Its not a big deal since i have other letters of rec already but its nice to have a few extra ya know. Its just been a year too, so that awkwardness....but then again this is my career/life too...

Members don't see this ad.

When I first read that you want a letter from your PE instructor, I almost wanna say no, but if he/she can write about your leadership and communication skills, that'll be fine. An instructor letter is fine, as long as it's accompanied by a professor letter as well (Your woman studies class?)

Areas like Community Health and Psychology are considered non-science for the purpose of LOR's, so those are areas of professors I requested letters from. And yes, there was at least one professor that didn't know me too well but still wrote me a letter of rec. I think the key is just to find a "nice" professor to do so.

I don't think there's such a thing as a "wrong" letter of recommendation. Since this person is probably not usually asked to write letters to ad comms you might want to provide a little assistance.

I asked for a letter from my Latin professor because I tutored for her. She was puzzled by the format and asked me for some ideas; I gave her some samples, copies of my transcript and ECs, etc. No one so far has commented specifically on it, but no one has expressed any problem with it, including the prehealth office (who would let me know if they considered it unhelpful).

Your instructor sounds like a really good source. It'll stand out from the usual letters, which is all good.

A rec. from the rescue scuba diving instructor sounds like it would definitely stand out. If you believe that would be a good recommendation, then go for it. Don't feel obligated to use humanities for non-science.