Non-Science Letters of Evaluation

Started by tyrsa
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tyrsa

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all!

I have a question regarding non-science recommendation letters. My non-science letter is from an engineering professor. I know that according to the AMCAS classifications, all non-BCPM classes are considered non-science. But does that apply to letters of evaluation as well?

I'm a non-traditional applicant, and I decided to do medicine late in my academic career. When I made that decision, I was already long finished with all of my english/humanities/social-science classes. I suppose I can contact my past humanities professors, but the last humanities class I took was in 2009. I doubt the professors would remember me, and even if they did, I doubt the letter would be strong. (I know that the letter from my engineering professor is strong.)

Is this a big deal for medical schools? I have many strong letters, in addition to a pre-health committee letter. Should I be worried?
 
Last edited:
You have nothing to worry about, the main two things you should be concerned with is the position of the writer (Ph.D, member of an important board, etc.) and how much they can say about you. If you can get a prestigious member of the English department to write you a bomb letter that touches on your character and skills, it is worth much more than a science professor writing about how you came to class everyday and actively took notes.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got in touch with the two schools I am applying to that require a non-science letter (Harvard and JHU). Both schools said they are looking for a letter from humanities, social sciences or behavioral sciences. Harvard admissions even said "Well, engineering is part of science, right?" Well, not to me. WTF.

Yeah, calling the schools about specific requisites is the way to go. No reason to not send in a strong letter just because you may think it doesn't meet the requirements.
 
Yeah, calling the schools about specific requisites is the way to go. No reason to not send in a strong letter just because you may think it doesn't meet the requirements.

Yeah my problem is that I didn't think to get a letter from a humanities professor, so that engineering letter was the only letter I considered non-science. Hopefully they are not super strict on it.