Non-Science Major Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rez_nov

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am currently pursuing a double major with one being Biochemistry and the other being a humanities major. In order to fit everything, I pretty much used AP credits for the basic science course (calc,bio,chem,phys). I have taken organic, first semester of biochem, lab courses, statistics, and plan to take classes like astronomy, cell biology, neuroscience, and possibly genetics by the time I apply. Upon conducting research on this matter, I have found that medical schools want a certain amount of science hours done in order to make sure the student is prepared for the rigors of medical school. What is a good benchmark for that while applying? I think I will be at the 45 credit hour mark of BCPM classes when applying. Is that good enough for med schools (Texas med schools included)? The websites I looked at said something about having 55-70 hours when applying. Overall I would have about 85 hours in total completed at my uni without including my AP credits.

Any advice would be helpful! I don't want to be screened out/penalized for not having enough science classes. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Economics major here!

as long as you complete the required pre-reqs, you will be fine.
i took the required pre-reqs (Bio 1-2, Gen Chem 1-2, Ochem 1-2, Physics 1-2, Biochem, English and Stats). on top of that, i think i only took ~5 upper-division science courses.

current applicant right now (for TX MD/DO and OOS DO) and have not been screened out or contacted due to "lack" of science courses.

Reactions: 1 users
If you're doing biochemistry as a major, it's not like your application won't be filled with upper level science courses. Do well in them. Don't give anyone reason to have pause in your application.

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just to be clear, you are taking 45 credits above and beyond the AP assigned credits? Many medical schools will not accept those credits for prereqs
Yes the 45 science class hours do not include the AP credits. Do you know if there is a way to check which schools accept/don't accept them? I know I could look at their website and call, but do you know of any centralized place or list?

If you're doing biochemistry as a major, it's not like your application won't be filled with upper level science courses. Do well in them. Don't give anyone reason to have pause in your application.

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
Thank you!

Economics major here!

as long as you complete the required pre-reqs, you will be fine.
i took the required pre-reqs (Bio 1-2, Gen Chem 1-2, Ochem 1-2, Physics 1-2, Biochem, English and Stats). on top of that, i think i only took ~5 upper-division science courses.

current applicant right now (for TX MD/DO and OOS DO) and have not been screened out or contacted due to "lack" of science courses.
Hey! I love your name btw, even though it was a struggle learning it. My main concern was that for about half of those prereqs I used AP credits, so I guess I didn't really "take" them. Did you AP out of any of them? I mean I did take upper level courses to help with that I think besides physics (I am not sure what would count as upper level of physics). Thanks for your perspective, it definitely made me feel better and good luck on your cycle!

As long as you get the pre-reqs done anything else is just extra. Just make sure you get a good GPA in the classes you take, both science and AO
Thank you!

Yes the 45 science class hours do not include the AP credits. Do you know if there is a way to check which schools accept/don't accept them? I know I could look at their website and call, but do you know of any centralized place or list?

Thank you!

Hey! I love your name btw, even though it was a struggle learning it. My main concern was that for about half of those prereqs I used AP credits, so I guess I didn't really "take" them. Did you AP out of any of them? I mean I did take upper level courses to help with that I think besides physics (I am not sure what would count as upper level of physics). Thanks for your perspective, it definitely made me feel better and good luck on your cycle!

Thank you!
ohhhhhh, so you AP-ed out of some pre-reqs?
i don’t think med schools are going to accept that. i recommend taking the actual pre-med coursework.
whichever schools you’re interested in, check out their website & see if they accept AP credit for pre-reqs. general consensus is that they do not, but i could be wrong.

& thanks! i love ochem so thought i’d represent my favorite reaction lmao

Reactions: 1 user
ohhhhhh, so you AP-ed out of some pre-reqs?
i don’t think med schools are going to accept that. i recommend taking the actual pre-med coursework.
whichever schools you’re interested in, check out their website & see if they accept AP credit for pre-reqs. general consensus is that they do not, but i could be wrong.

& thanks! i love ochem so thought i’d represent my favorite reaction lmao

Yeah I used AP credits for intro biology (3 hours), intro chemistry + labs (8 hours), and intro physics + labs (8 hours), Calculus I and II (6 hours), and Stats with lab (4 hours)

I ended up taking a higher level calculus class, biostats, biochemistry, and higher level biology class. So I am not sure if those will count. Do you know of any centralized place I could check out to see prereqs for med schools or do I just check each website?