NON-SCIENCE Major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrHTM

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any of you majoring (or majored) in a non-science field? If so, which one?

And which Med Schools look highly on students who majored in a non-science field.

I majored in Physiology and History. Want to know which schools prefer Double Major Applicants. Most of the schools seem to only accept 1 or 2 Double Major (sci/nonsci) per year. This is really scary for me...

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a psychology major. The reason they might only have one or two of those majors accepted is because many don't apply. Most people are bio majors. I've heard that that the % of history or philosophy majors that apply is quite high, like in the 50% range. Hope it helps! :)

Originally posted by tatabox80
I've heard that that the % of history or philosophy majors that apply is quite high, like in the 50% range. Hope it helps! :)

Thanks...but not quite sure what you mean here.

You mean 50% of the applicants are History or philosophy majors? or what? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry, I didn't write my thought completely. 50% that apply get accepted.

I have my degree in Education.

I'm sorry, I didn't write my thought completely. 50% that apply get accepted.

WOW
:clap: :clap: I hope that's true!!!! I'm really counting on my double major to get into one of the 40 schools i applied to....

Do you know which schools prefer non-science majors? anyone?

Have fun with the secondaries...the typing...the fees....the essays...

Yeah, i'm a philosophy major. I heard that 50% acceptance before too so it's looking pretty decent for us. Anyway, I think majoring in a non-science over a science (would have been chem) was one of the best choices i've made. I may regret it in the first year of med school (fingers crossed), but I think the life lessons--if that's appropriatel--are more valuable than a little extra work during the first year. That may just be the philo. talking. As to what schools tend to accept non-science majors, they actually vary quite a bit. I believe yale has one of the larger percentages at around 30, but you should look in MSAR or the US news web site for more detailed stats. The bottom line is that despite the appearance of a higher acceptance rate, we still need to achieve on the mcats, gpa, ecs, etc. to get in. We just may be a change of pace in the interview process . . . i dunno. best of luck.

I'm an MS2 and I have 2 degrees in music. I spend most of my time studying with a couple other guys who majored in poli sci and business. Many people get in with all sorts of degrees.

I don't know if I'd pay too much attention to statistics, just do well and interview well. You'll probably be fine.

Good luck.

hahahahahaha:D :D :D

Well, it keeps me busy and working in front of the computer...Now if my boss only knew what I was really doing...hehehehehehe ;)

My non-sciene majors helped me get in, but Don Quijote did not help me at all on my first test in med school. All the chem/bio majors had a clear advantage. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey~

Well, I am a duble major in non-science majors: Psychology and Chicano studies. I am doing these two majors because I really like these areas of study, but i have seriously been thinking of getting a minor in biology because I am sure it will help me at the end. Maybe if I dont end up getting the minor take the most science classes I can, like: genetics, cellular bio, physiology, biochem and molecular bio, which I mean these classes plus 2 more make the minor, so we'll see what happens.

Eduardo

Originally posted by UrSexyLatinDr
these classes plus 2 more make the minor, so we'll see what happens.

hey sexydr. haven't seen you in a while. i hope all is well. and if it's just 2 more classes, and you can fit them into your schedule without toooo much straining/exhaustion, you should definitely go for it

I heard its not a big deal to major in sciences because med school prepares you enough from the beginning. of course you should have some idea of the periodic table...;) :rolleyes:

Good luck all.

I've got a BA in Religion. While I haven't formally applied yet (applying in 2003), Harvard med seemed to be impressed ( I also have undergraduate and graduate degrees in Chemistry)

Originally posted by pathdr2b
I've got a BA in Religion. While I haven't formally applied yet (applying in 2003), Harvard med seemed to be impressed ( I also have undergraduate and graduate degrees in Chemistry)

Now we wouldn't be tooting our own horn would we??? :rolleyes: :p :laugh:

Now we wouldn't be tooting our own horn would we??? :rolleyes: :p :laugh:

Absolutely!!!! But it doesn't matter until I get that acceptance letter! ;)

I was simplly making the point that Harvard will seriously consider the non-science major (with decent grades and MCAT's of course!)

Hey i think u stole my idea here.. i had a post on other majors too!! no but im a Finance major.. well done now, funny i dont think psych or history majors are that much more rare than bio as i really meet a ton of them, however im surprised at the post that the engineer didnt get in. I have heard med schools love htem. Now if you are an excercise science major or a spanish major and you already are fluent.. well to me that is kinda easy way to get a super high gpa.. but if ya kick butt on mcat and do well in all the premed stuff i guess it doesnt matter. I always read how they have like 30 majors reprensented in each class or something. now to do that they have to pick people if they have a bit different of a major so i think it is an advantage.. but who konws.. anyway cool post

Having a non-science major is fine, but make sure you have a reason for it. I was talking to a guy that does interviews for medical school and he hates it when a history or finance major (or any non-sci) says, "I always wanted to be a doctor." He told me he wants to say to them, "No, you heard or read that the percent of students per capita that get into medical school are X-majors. If you wanted to be a doctor your WHOLE life, why the hell did you major in a non-science?"

Not to bash non-science majors, but lets look at the classes. One of my minor is in philosophy, I recieve my highest grades in it. Many non-sci classes are not the same type of difficulty as science ones. A bio major takes the classes that are req to get into medical school, along with upper level ones: micro, molecular, cell, genetics, parasitology, virology, biochem, physio, antomy.

What I'm trying to say is, many schools like to look at soley the numbers. With a major in a non-science and you are comited to it, you have a better chance of having a higher gpa with a greater buffer.

And I know non-sci have to take the same pre-reqs and the MCAT. Basically, they have a better GPA buffer.

I'm have a degree in History myself.
I have read and heard similar statistics that history has a very
high acceptance rate. I think it's a very good thing to be a non-science major. Since you are required to take the same pre-med req's you have had the opportunity to become more well-rounded.

I personally have at least two friends that are physicians now that were history major.

Hey everyone, just my two cents...

I majored in both psych and econ in college... I honestly believe your major, regardless of what it is, will not hurt you. I believe schools are interested in academic and intellectual curiosity in general. Do what you are interested in, and that will impress the adcom. Good luck

40 schools!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by drake.ramoray
oh my.

Last year lady in red applied to 50! :eek:

Listen to The Hulk. He's very wise for such a newbie! ;)

Having a non-science major is fine, but make sure you have a reason for it. I was talking to a guy that does interviews for medical school and he hates it when a history or finance major (or any non-sci) says, "I always wanted to be a doctor." He told me he wants to say to them, "No, you heard or read that the percent of students per capita that get into medical school are X-majors. If you wanted to be a doctor your WHOLE life, why the hell did you major in a non-science?"
I really don't agree that saying "I've always wanted to be a doctor" implies that you have to study a science. I'm a philosophy major and I do love science, I'm better at it, and I have a higher science gpa than non-science. Just because someone isn't driven to major in biology, does not make them less devoted to medicine. In fact, i believe (and i'm sure you can relate as a philo minor) the subject of philosophy, and probably many non-science disciplines, have a lot to offer the field of medicine. Philosophy by its nature is a social discipline, one that helps develop interpersonal and rational skills not always attainable in sciences alone. Science and philosophy also share a common thread: both are pursuing truth to the world. While science may be more concrete, and therefore more attainable (perhaps more practical), both nevertheless share this same pursuit of knowledge and truth. Essentially I feel philosophy is simply another perspective of science.

In regard to the difficulty of classes, maybe mine is a unique scenario, but my science classes have generally been easier than the philosophy, though I have tried to take (and have sometimes regretted) more challenging philo. classes. Anyway, just my thoughts, and maybe my reasons for the decision

Well guess I am the lone ranger here:( ,but so far I am finding it hard to manage another set of subjects unrelated to my pre-reqs.
If I thought it was doable I would take theatre or creative writing.:clap:

Originally posted by Wardens

I really don't agree that saying "I've always wanted to be a doctor" implies that you have to study a science. I'm a philosophy major and I do love science, I'm better at it, and I have a higher science gpa than non-science.

::chop chop::

In regard to the difficulty of classes, maybe mine is a unique scenario, but my science classes have generally been easier than the philosophy, though I have tried to take (and have sometimes regretted) more challenging philo. classes. Anyway, just my thoughts, and maybe my reasons for the decision
[/QUOTE]

I totally agree. I'm a philosophy major as well (currently procrastinating in writing a modern phil paper! ugh!) and my science classes have definitely been easier than my philosophy classes. And my BCPM GPA is higher too.

Karen

Another phil major chipping in. I also thought that my philosophy courses were tougher grade-wise than science courses. In terms of workload though, science was much, much more rigorous.

The ability to tease out subtleties is a characteristic of philosophers. :)

One can also argue on the topic of majors and "wanting to be a doctor my entire life." It goes like this: If you always wanted to be a doctor, you'd know that you would learn all the science you need from science prereqs and medical school. You would also know that physicians aren't merely scientists, and I would ask why a serious premed student never took a course in medical ethics, logic, or anything else that broadens one's perspective and focuses on clear and rational writing and thinking.

Goes both ways.

There is a quote: Never argue with an idiot, he will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Never argue with a philosopher, he will keep arguing until you lose interest. :)

im a psych major.. i think it fits me well and will be helpful in patient care.

Originally posted by Doctora Foxy
My non-sciene majors helped me get in, but Don Quijote did not help me at all on my first test in med school. All the chem/bio majors had a clear advantage. :(

Sorry to hear that...just remember that in no time you will level the playing field and start kicking some butt and taking numbers!

Good luck to you in your first year at UF. (No offense, but the Gators sucked against Miami. Maybe they should have paid more $ to Spurrier.)

PEace

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have to counter with the question "So what?" Use this as an example - I've taken o-chem at two different schools...As a transient I had a fair shot at an A on account of the teacher presenting an understandable and comprehensive body of information...At my own school the teacher was always competing with her own students, giving tests and assignments that nobody could succeed at based on text and lecture notes. The only point is that I'm stuck at my own school with a few professors who always leave little more than hard-earned Cs on my transcript. In my 'atrocious' humanities major, however, I can earn As and (barely) get my Gpa back up. (Of course I'll have to count on the MCAT to work against the low BCPM.)

Again, "So what?" I changed my major in hopes of sidestepping a few unfavorable science professors' little machine. (Yes...it only takes a few working together...seeing if anyone is simply smart enough to get that A by unconventional wisdom.) Because I want to be a doctor bad enough I've had to plan as well. I don't dislike science, and I know that if I were able to go to the school that I attended as a transient I would more likely still be a science major. But I'm a human-being first and foremost, and I'm not going to go through college like a poor dope in a Greek tragedy who gets his knowledge through suffering.

Originally posted by DrHTM
Any of you majoring (or majored) in a non-science field? If so, which one?

And which Med Schools look highly on students who majored in a non-science field.

I majored in Physiology and History. Want to know which schools prefer Double Major Applicants. Most of the schools seem to only accept 1 or 2 Double Major (sci/nonsci) per year. This is really scary for me...

I think about 1/3 of my class were non-science majors, perhaps more. There were historians, French-Lit, engineers, writers, teachers, and even a milk man (just joking). Seriously, schools like diversity. All you need are the prereqs to apply. The rest is up to you to fill your curriculum as you see fit.

I am a double major in biology and women's studies. I heard somewhere on SDN that adcoms (stereotypically...old, white, conservatives) might look down on the women's studies thing being frightened off by feminism. Do think this is really true??? (and if so...I might add that this is yet another way that pro-women women are being oppressed;) )