Non-science majors !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
constructor said:
i have great respect for people of both backgrounds, but i just wish they were treated equally in the medical school application process.

I think they are. A 4.0 music major who also manages to get 3.7 science GPA is going to stand out more than a 3.4 software engineer. And Adcoms are impressed by musical backgrounds, as they should be.

Members don't see this ad.

yposhelley said:
:laugh:
Music does more for developing the brain (as well as keeping you centered and staying versed in producing art and beauty) than this guy understands.
My whole family are musicians-and part of the reason they are so smart and successful in what they have pursued (everything from Medical School-MD to Neuroscience to Computer Software Engineer to a Masters degree at JULIARD) is because of the positive effects that music has had on their intellectual progress and self discipline.
I'm willing to make a bet that more musicians are capable of doing software engineering-than are software engineers capable of being good musicians.
If this guy was really serious about music he would know this.

I agree with this. I would also like to add that musicians practice skills that will make them better surgeons as well (manual dexterity, creativity).

Btw, sp. = Juilliard