Non-target community to GI?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Osteoth

Fake it till ya' make it
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am an incoming PGY-1 at a community residency that does not typically match residents into GI and has no GI fellowship itself. AMG, 217/243/Fail-->Pass.

Was just hoping some other residents who have matched with either low-scores or from a non-target program would share their stories, just because I am definitely wondering if GI is out of my reach.

Also, if anyone has any specific advice for people in my situation, would appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

No exactly similar personal examples, but I can offer 2c from seeing a few successful applicants with low scores- a very tough spot, but not impossible. Your best chance is finding a university program and mentor nearby that you can do research with. And when I say research, I mean you need to be prodigious, you need high level publications and many of them, along with a letter from a well known mentor- this is really the key for you. The other thing to do is Chief year- and pass your IM boards that year. You may need to do an unaccredited fellowship after residency (NIH, Temple, Hepatology etc, these have been discussed on this forum if you search).

Reactions: 1 user
No exactly similar personal examples, but I can offer 2c from seeing a few successful applicants with low scores- a very tough spot, but not impossible. Your best chance is finding a university program and mentor nearby that you can do research with. And when I say research, I mean you need to be prodigious, you need high level publications and many of them, along with a letter from a well known mentor- this is really the key for you. The other thing to do is Chief year- and pass your IM boards that year. You may need to do an unaccredited fellowship after residency (NIH, Temple, Hepatology etc, these have been discussed on this forum if you search).

Any opinion on doing research with a mentor nearby while working as a hospitalist vs. non-ACGME fellowship after graduation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you will need to do the work during residency for sure. The decision to purse a clinic/ research fellowship afterwards should be in the back of your mind at all times, if you do very well with your application by the time of your fellowship app you can re-think the decision for another fellowship after discussion with your mentor

Reactions: 1 user